14. Valentine's Day

They had met on that fateful day early October, when they had bumped into each other on the way to their own classrooms, causing Dean to drop the papers bundled up in his hands. It had been his first day being a teacher there, and Castiel had walked with him to his classroom, talking with him and apologizing profusely.

It didn't take too long for Castiel and Dean to become good friends, their rooms next door to one another. They'd spend lunch break together, and even when they had to be monitors over the kids at school during recess, they'd stand there talking and laughing.

It also didn't take long for their students to notice something between them as well. Dean, when confronted very openly, had covered his face to hide his blush. Castiel had taken it the same way, except he smiled widely and hid his face by staring at the floor. And that's when they knew that they had to do something about it.

Thus started the awkward questioning of their teachers. Tiny children would waddle up to the front of the class and ask the most blunt questions, while the older children were more smug and vague about it. Now Dean and Castiel would notice their students grinning widely in the corner of the room whenever they'd talk.

Valentine's Day. Dean knows that Castiel has never liked the holiday, finding it pointless having a holiday for lovers when they should love each other everyday anyways. Their students, however, saw it as an opportunity. Dean let his smaller students create cards for their loved ones, and was surprised when a group of them came up to him, asking if he was going to make one for Castiel.

A furious blush growing on his cheeks, he shook his head. It was then that the children tugged him towards their table, insisting that he should make a card too. No matter what Dean said about the project being for them and them only, the children only shook their heads and made him create a card.

It was half an hour later when it was finished, the card covered in pink glitter due to a child accidentally knocking a cup of glitter on the card. Dean had written a nice little paragraph inside the card, that could be taken as platonic if Castiel really wanted to interpret it that way. One last time, Dean reminded the children that Castiel most likely did not feel that way for him. But they smiled toothily up at him and pulled him outside for recess.

Castiel was already standing outside, his own flock of kids surrounding him. He was glancing down at them, his face slightly red. Probably just the cold, thought Dean. The students around Castiel pointed to Dean, and he turned, his blue eyes shining as he regarded Dean with his students pushing him towards their group.

"H-Hi, Cas," stuttered Dean, looking down at the children who were now standing with Castiel's students. "U-Uh I mean, Mr. Novak."

Before Castiel could answer, a girl piped up that it was okay if Dean were to use his first name, and Castiel laughed. "Hello, Dean."

"So... N-Nice weather," said Dean, clasping his hands in front of himself nervously as the children watched eagerly. The card was in his hands, most likely getting glitter onto his skin.

"Yes, it is," he smiled. "Is there any reason why your students pushed you here today?" This caused a ripple of laughter to go through the small crowd of kids.

"Well..." Dean ran his hand through his hair, and Castiel suddenly let out a bark of laughter.

"Dean... There's pink glitter in your hair now," he gently took Dean's hand, and saw glitter scattered all over it. The students were now laughing loudly as Castiel grinned at Dean. "Why do you have glitter all over your hands?"

"The other hand's probably worse," muttered Dean exasperatedly, then took a deep breath and shoved the card towards Castiel, hiding his face as he gently took it out of his hands.

Castiel was silent as he analyzed the glittery card, his name written in Dean's handwriting across the front. Dean lifted his eyes up a little, and saw that Castiel had a curious look on his face as he read the inside of the card, where he had written a possibly-platonic paragraph. When Dean glanced down at the students, he saw that they surprisingly had nervous faces on, as if unsure if Castiel liked the gesture or not.

"The kids, they... They said I should do this, so I obviously don't expect you to have one for me," he quickly said, hoping that Castiel's mood wasn't dampened by this.

His eyes glanced up into his, and a smile graced his face. Castiel reached into his back pocket and pulled out a pink card. "My students told me to do it as well, although I'm afraid that I didn't use as much glitter as you'd like me to."

Dean laughed as he took the card, and the children stood stock-still with wide grins on their faces. "No, that was--never mind." The cover had multiple red heart stickers, and Dean's name was inscribed across it in Castiel's neat handwriting. Inside was more of his writing:

I hate Valentine's Day, since it's a day where lovers are extra in love, except this year I might actually have someone to spend it with. Take this any way you want to, but I'd like to spend time with you outside of the school. I like being with you.

With love, Cas

Dean's smile dug into his cheeks as the students stood back a little to give the two space, as if their job was done. Castiel was now peering at him nervously, gaging his reaction. "So... Coffee after school?" Dean was speechless, and he added, "It's fine if you don't want to, I just didn't know what to-"

"I'd love to, Cas," blurted out Dean. "I like being with you too."

They both smiled giddily at each other, glad that they were actually moving along in their relationship without making anything awkward. The students ran off to play, and right as recess ended and the children were lining up, Castiel inexplicably pressed a kiss to Dean's cheek. "Thank you, by the way. What you said in the card was cute."

"T-Thank you too," he stuttered. "For the card."

They smiled, which seemed like the only thing they knew how to do, and Castiel slid his hand into Dean's, grasping it gently. The two held hands, their cards held in each other's grasp, as they walked back into the building.

*****************

hallo happy Valentine's Day I am alone again but I'm kinda used to it at this point rip anyway here's the other v-day one shot along with the other one on my profile yay (this was a schoolteacher AU just in case you didn't catch that)

oH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED TODAY'S THE 14TH AND IT'S THE 14TH ONE SHOT I DID NOT PLAN IT TO BE LIKE THAT AT ALL YOOOOOOOOOO

bUT GUYS LISTEN OKAY I AM NOT A MUSHY PERSON IT IS NOT LIKE ME TO WRITE TWO V-DAY MUSHY ONE SHOTS.

TO REMIND YOU THAT I'M NOT MUSHY I'M WRITING A SERIAL KILLER AU NEXT (sorry) but yeah just a warning in advance if you don't like killing/blood/guns/violence then don't read it bye fam