Chapter 1

Nathan 🌵

I still remember the first day I met her.

I was working my shift at the sandwich shop. My friend Ahmad was leaning over the counter, a skateboard under his arm. "I'd give her a 7, what you think?" Ahmad asked as a blonde girl with way too much make-up on walked into the shop and ordered a smoothie.

"Ahmad, I don't really have time to rate women with you. I'm supposed to be serving customers," I said.

"Well, I am a customer and you're not serving me!" Ahmad moaned. I sighed.

"What do you want?" I asked him.

"I'd like a steak sandwich with chips and a Coke please." He stuck his hands into his back pocket and pulled out a wad of bills.

"You shouldn't keep your money in your pocket like that. Someone can easily steal it," I said taking the money and getting his order ready.

I heard the sound of the shop door open. "Definitely a 9. Or maybe even a 10. She's pretty hot don't you think?" Ahmad said as I handed over his order.

I turned to see the girl he was rating. Golden/strawberry blonde hair, gorgeous green eyes and very attractive facial features. I had never seen her before. She looked tired but she was still really beautiful. She smiled at me as she came to stand behind the counter.

"Hi, I have never been here before. What's good?" she asked.

"Well, we're famous for our steak sandwiches but if you're looking for something healthier the Hawaiian sandwich is quite good. We also have a variety of pizza slices, salads, ready made pastas and health wraps but sandwiches are our speciality," I said.

"Okay, I would like a steak sandwich and.." Her eyes scanned the menu boards above my head. "A peanut butter and banana smoothie please"

"Oh you like peanut butter and banana?" I asked as she handed me her money and I gave her change and receipt.

"It's one of my favorite combinations," she said.

"Mine too!" I said. She smiled. She had a really beautiful smile. I got her order ready, carefully preparing her smoothie.

"I haven't seen you before. Are you not from around here?" I asked as I handed over her sandwich and smoothie. The thing with living in a small town and working at a really popular sandwich shop, is that you end up knowing almost everyone.

"I am from around here," she said, "I just don't get out much." Her expression clouded for a moment but she quickly smiled and thanked me, taking her order and leaving. I watched her walk out into the early autumn sunshine. A slight breeze blew her golden hair into her face. She quickly tucked her hair behind her ear and then she was gone.