Chapter 12

Grace 🌸

I woke up late the next day. I say up in my bed and rubbed my sleepy eyes. I was slightly disorientated which was a normal thing for me when I wake up. Once the fuzziness in my brain settled I climbed out of bed and went to the bathroom. As I brushed my teeth I remembered the events of the previous day and I couldn't help beaming. It had been a truly wonderful birthday.

"Hey Gracey," my dad said as I came down the stairs.

"Well someone's finally awake," my mom said.

As I entered the kitchen I saw a beautiful vanilla sponge cake on the table. The words "Happy Birthday Grace" were written on the cake with caramel and there was a fresh cream border around the cake, decorated with little marzipan flowers. My parents said they were willing to celebrate my birthday today because I spent the whole day with Nathan yesterday and when I came home I was so exhausted that I just collapsed on my bed and slept until late the next morning. My mom made tea and cut us each a huge slice of cake. She allowed me to have cake for breakfast without nagging about having a "substantial and nutritious breakfast" like she usually does. Maybe that's because it was so late that it wasn't even breakfast time anymore.

My parents insisted on singing the "happy birthday" song before we ate the cake. My father's gruff voice combined with my mother's shrill singing voice did not make an attractive tune but I didn't care. There was no one around to listen to my parents horribly embarrassing singing anyway.

"It's time to open your presents!" my mom said excitedly after we had finished eating our cake (which was quite delicious I must say).

The first gift I opened was the chocolates from Nathan. He had bought me a fancy box of Lindt chocolate balls which was my most favourite chocolate ever! I wonder if he knew that? I popped a chocolate ball in my mouth and savoured the melt-in-your-mouth taste as I opened the rest of my gifts.

The next gift was a card and money from my dearest gran. In the card there was a cute message written in her scrawly handwriting:

"Happy Birthday Grace!

I can't remember how old you are but don't take it personally, I can't remember how old I am either! You have been through so much and you deserve everything of the best. I hope you have a wonderful day and a wonderful life.

Lots of love, your gran xx

P.S I hope you buy yourself something nice with the money!"

I smiled at the my gran's short but sweet message and moved onto the next gift which was from Winchester Hospital, the hospital where I was hospitalized after the car crash and where I go for brain scans and checkups. They had given me a small flower pot with a pretty little flower popping out of the soil. Attached to the flower pot was the message:

"I hope you have a day as beautiful as this flower. Best wishes from the staff at Winchester Hospital."

The last and final gift was from my parents. My dad handed me a big flat white box with a bright blue bow. I untied the bow, opened the box and took out the gift. It was a beautiful midnight blue dress! I looked up at my parents smiling, expectant faces.

"Do you like it?" my mom asked.

"Like it? I love it! Thank you so much mom and dad." I leaned in and gave my parents a big hug.

"Go fit it on!" my mom ordered excitedly (if you haven't noticed she gets excited quite easily).

I went to my room and pulled on the beautiful long dress. The bodice was lace and and the dress reached till my ankles. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Not bad, I thought. It was one of those dresses that you could dress up or dress down, depending on the occasion.