Roses are red violets are blue...excuse me who are you?

Chapter1

 “Watch me as I move!” Dame Petal ordered and stood on her toes. Her posture was perfectly elegant. She gently raised her hands, and stopped midair when she noticed that Rose wasn’t paying attention.

 “Rose!” she cleared her throat and called out in a stern voice.

 Noticing the sudden silence in the room, Rose realised that she was in trouble again. She looked at the mirror opposite her and met Dame Petal’s icy gaze.

 “Show them a passé,” Dame Petal commanded and moved from the centre as the rest fixed their eyes on her.

 Rose had been practicing ballet for a long time. She was but ten when her teacher, M.s Magnolia, sent her to live with Dame Petal in the Royal Ballet School. Eight years later she still hadn’t learned to dance her way to perfection.

Rose sighed as she grasped the ballet barre and looked at all the giggling faces in the mirror. She knew that just like any other day, something would inevitably go wrong and the whole class would burst into laughter.

 “Please, not this time,” she prayed and dropped her hand from the ballet barre.

 Dame petal and the whole class stared at her as she stood on one leg and slowly raised the other. Passé was a movement where the pointed foot of the working leg is made to pass the knee of the supporting leg.

 Rose pointed her foot and with a deep breath managed to pass the knee of the supporting leg. She heaved a sigh of relief upon completing the move with ease. Just when she thought she had done it and turned to head back to her seat, Rose tripped and fell flat on the floor.

 The whole class burst out laughing and Dame Petal hit her palm daintily with her head in disappointment. Rose had never perfected any of her moves. She would faultlessly always end up falling or doing the wrong step.

  “Enough!” Dame petal shouted at the class and ordered everyone to leave. Everyone left the room giggling while Rose’s best friend Violet approached her and helped her get up.

 “Are you hurt?” Violet asked her with a look of concern.

 “Nah… I’m always fine,” Rose replied with a smile and got up.

 “I don’t think you’re going to be fine for long,” Violet said as she noticed how briskly Dame Petal walked towards them. Violet signalled Rose to move quick, but was too late.

 “Not so fast,” Dame Petal ordered catching Rose’s arm.

 “She will remain here and practice for an hour more,” she announced and asked Violet to leave the room.

 Dame petal was a strict trainer. Having been a reputed ballerina herself, she expected every student from her school to master the art of ballet flawlessly. She had trained many ballerinas, earning herself a name and reputation in the wealthy and affluent society that she was unwilling to let a clumsy, graceless student by the name of Rose demolish.

 Rose frowned as she found herself alone in the room, Dame Petal having just exited.

 “Here we go again!” she muttered to herself and sat on the floor with her legs stretched out. She gazed towards the wall clock and sighed. She had to spend another hour in the room practising while her friends got to roam freely on campus.

 “I’m not fit for this… Why can’t she understand?” she asked herself and pulled her ballet shoes from her feet. She pressed her feet to stretch and looked out the huge French window.

 Rose was the kind of girl who gave up quite easily. She never did anything whole heartedly and even if she did, she would leave it unfinished. Just like her dreams of becoming a famous ballerina.