Sixteen

Aden
So it looks like I got friend zoned, which is cool. April would probably make a great friend and it's not like I was expecting something. Not really.

I try not to feel too disappointed. I've always hated the fvckboys who get mad when a girl says she just wants to be friend. Worst is the ones who immediately proclaim what a nice guy they are afterwords. Like hello a$$hole the world doesn't owe you anything just because you say a few nice words. Honestly, they make the rest of us look bad.

I don't consider myself to be a nice or a bad guy. Like most people I'm somewhere in between. So I guess if April is willing to put up with my sometimes moody loner guy ways and be friends that's a good thing.

I move through my classes without anything spectacular happening. I do see Jamal in the hallway. The heated glare he gives me tells me that unlike his brother he still hates my guts.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Keith. The guy tormented me for most of my high school life. I accepted his apology because even fake nice Keith would be better than the Keith that wants to strangle me. I just have to keep my eye on him.

I see Regina in the hallway as I walk to bio. I wave at her. She smiles back.

"We still on for lunch?" She asks.

"Yup."

"Alright see you there. Try not to get in anymore high speed chases."

I smile. Regina and I continue down our opposite directions. Over all this week hasn't been so bad. I've got people to sit with at lunch and a somewhat awkward friendship with April Robinson. Both are two things I thought would never happen.

I'm sitting at my desk when April walks into the room. She smiles at me but it isn't her usual bright smile. She looks a little troubled.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just dealing with some stuff."

It isn't a really descriptive answer but I don't want to pry. I don't know if we're on that level yet. My thumbs drum on the desk as I try to think of something else to say.

"Did you finish your list?" I ask.

"Yup. I was able to at least accomplish that."

April hands over her sheet of paper. I glance over her list. Most of the things listed are personality traits. The only physical trait that was listed is tall. I look back at her.

"You do know that even Sasquatch would meet your requirements of attractiveness." I say.

April shrugs her shoulders. "What can I say. I'm not picky."

She's probably only saying that for my benefit. Everyone has their preferences. She probably just doesn't want to make me feel bad by pointing out I was the opposite of what she normal consider attractive. I let it go, though. At least I do have that tall thing going for me, even if my hight is more of awkward lanky type of hight.

I pull out another sheet of paper to write the combined list down.

"Are you going to let me see your paper." April asks.

"Hmm?"

I pretend I didn't hear her. It's not like I have a problem showing her my work. It's just that my list is basically a description of her. I didn't even realize how much April had in common with my ideal girl until I started writing my list down. Showing her that now might make things very awkward for our new budding friendship. I didn't want her to think I was attracted to her and I certainly didn't want her to think I was creepy.