Forty four

Aden
April and I were in the kitchen when Jamal got back home. Keith and April's dad moved the oven while I was trying to mess with the wires. April and her mom were laugh at our attempts to fix the stubborn kitchen appliance.

When we finally got the thing to work they cheered and April's dad patted me on the shoulder. This was the scene Jamal walked in on.

"What's going on here?" Jamal asked dropping his grocery bags on the table.

"Oh honey you're back. These three were just trying to fix the oven so I could get started on dinner." April's mom said.

"Yeah it's a good thing April's boy knew his way around an oven." April's dad said his heavy handed pats land hard on my shoulder.

"It's no problem sir. My dad fixes things for a living. He showed me a thing or two about fixing things." I say with a smile as I rub my shoulder.

"You mean the reach one with the hired help?" Jamal asked.

"Jamal, don't be rude." April's mom scolded.

"No, it's good and I was talking about my other dad Michael." I say.

"Michael? As in big Michael home repair?" April's dad asked.

"Yeah that my dad."

"That man really knows his stuff. Always charges a fair price."

I smile. My dad works hard to provide good survive. The shop he owns is his pride and joy. I spent a good amount of time there helping him with repair orders. For the most part I ran the numbers but every now and then he'd run across a job that needed two people.

"Well this is all great but Aden came here for a reason, so if your all done I have something to show him in the garage." Jamal said his arms crossed over his chest.

"Boy you better check that attitude at door and unfold those arms. This is my house and the only one who can cop an attitude is me." April's dad said.

April's mother cleared her throat.

"Is us." April's dad corrected.

"Sorry sir." Jamal said dropping his arms.

"Alright, now once we move this oven back in place you two are welcome to go about your business." April's dad said.

Keith and I help him move the oven back. Once he's done we leave out of the kitchen. April trails close behind us.

Jamal holds the front door open for us. Keith and I walk through door but when April tries to step through he turns his body blocking her from stepping through.

"You know the rules April. You don't get to see until it's done with." Jamal said.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah seriously."

Jamal was blocking my view of April but I had a felling that her face didn't look to happy.

"Why are you suddenly so interested. You usually hate being around us during the planning stage." Jamal asked.

"He's got a point April. The last time we asked you for help you complained the whole time." Keith said.

"That's because you kept speaking gibberish and yelling at me when I didn't understand." April said.

"Well it won't be much different this time. Just stay here and when we're done it'll be like a big surprise to you." Jamal said.

"Yeah don't worry will return Aden to you in one piece." Keith said draping his arm over my shoulder. A few weeks ago the act would have felt threatening but it didn't now.