Chapter 3

Lorday, 6 Faenym, 1007 KR

"It's a good myth. Cain. But it's just a myth," Ceph said.

Nael shook his head. "No myth is just a myth. No song is just a song. No story just a story. Telling it gives it meaning. Hearing it gives it meaning. Gives it power. There is great power in story, in music. There is truth in even the most blatant fiction. You find the meaning you need."

Uunday, 7 Faenym, 1007 KR

Nael's song had Ceph thinking about Rye. "Outcast." That must be what it felt like, sometimes. To be different, growing up. To be fey.

Sunday, 8 Faenym, 1007 KR

"I always thought of you as a brother, Rye."

"I... could never think of you as just a brother."

Ceph looked at him with sudden dawning. "I'm sorry."

Danday, 9 Faenym, 1007 KR

The engraving on the copper amulet had been worn smooth from rubbing. It was all Ceph had of them. He needed the touch of it. Needed to feel.

Losday, 10 Faenym, 1007 KR

Working in this bar, coming from where he'd come, it was easy to forget that this wasn't normal. That most didn't see this much death.

Brenday, 11 Faenym, 1007 KR

"When did you know?"

"Not until I met you," Rye said. "Then I couldn't deny it."

"You never told me."

"I did."

"Not—that it was me."

Byrday, 12 Faenym, 1007 KR

"Gods. How many bars feature an altar to the Angel of Death?"

"How many bars does he frequent?" Ceph replied.

At this, the man was silent.

Lorday, 13 Faenym, 1007 KR

"How much of the death you've seen was from violence?" Nael asked Ceph.

"Some."

"I've seen a lot. Violence stays with you."

"All death does."

Uunday, 14 Faenym, 1007 KR

Sometimes, Nael didn't show up to play. Ceph never asked about it—just paid him when he did come. Sometimes you just need time.

Sunday, 15 Faenym, 1007 KR

"Some things that happen to you, you're meant to learn from," Nael said. "Some things, you just have to move on, no matter the pain. Others stay with you, no matter what you do, never resolving, never disappearing, always floating in the blackness behind your eyes. They haunt you, and you cannot know their purpose. Maybe they don't have one. But they change us. They make us who we are."

Danday, 16 Faenym, 1007 KR

“So," Ceph said to a patron, "Why do you drink here? With all the death?"