Chapter Ten

Carlisle had the type of voice that just carried. I could hear her from my dorm room, and she didn't sound happy.

         I went out into the hallway to investigate and it led me to Lindsay and Carlisle's dorm room, the door slightly ajar.

         "Are you absolutely insane?" I heard Lindsay say in her angry voice. I had only heard it one time before, at Celia Howell's party when she was looking for the other girls. "Why the heck would I ever do that? Do you even know me at all?"

         "You're the only other person who has access to this room!" Carlisle yelled. Something plastic crashed to the floor. "Tell me the truth, Lindsay! Did you go through my stuff or not?"

         "I already told you that I didn't, Carlisle! I had no reason to. You should know me better than that!"
          "Then why—"

         "Is everything alright?" I said in the doorway. I didn't want to keep eavesdropping; I knew if I did, I'd get caught by someone sooner or later. I wasn't about to test my luck.

         Carlisle rolled her eyes and threw her leather messenger bag on top of her messed-up bed. I gasped when I saw the room: Carlisle's side was a complete and utter pigsty. Her belongings had been poured out of her drawers and storage containers. All of the items that she usually had in her messenger bag were thrown across the floor in a humongous mess. Lindsay's side was flawless, like usual, although Carlisle's side of the room made the whole dorm room look messy in general.

         "Carlisle thinks that I went through all of her belongings and messed up her side of the room," Lindsay said to me, her voice matter-of-factly. She sat down on her bed and crossed her long legs.

         "Then who else would it be?" Carlisle asked demandingly, stomping her foot loudly.

         "For the fifth time, I don't know!"

         Carlisle sighed and collapsed onto her desk chair. It rolled under her and she almost lost her balance.

         "Did you leave the door unlocked?" I asked them, trying to give them an idea on what may've happened.

         "Definitely not," Lindsay answered. "Every time I leave the dorm room, I always lock the door behind me. I'm extremely paranoid about that sort of stuff."

         "What if someone broke in?" Carlisle wailed.

         "I suggested that about ten minutes ago, when you first accused me of ransacking your side of our dorm room."

         Carlisle let out another drawn out sigh.

         "You guys need to talk to administration. Maybe they'll be able to figure out who did it," I told them, leaning against Lindsay's desk.

         Lindsay nodded in agreement and glanced at Carlisle. "You're right. Let's go."
           Carlisle got up and made her way to the door, already out by the time Lindsay began to stand up.

         "Come on," Lindsay said to me, grabbing my tiny arm and forcefully dragging me along with her to the front office.

         When we got there, Carlisle was already sitting in a chair in the waiting-room area of the front office, reading a tabloid magazine with a large picture of Kim Kardashian on the front of it.

         "Headmaster Rosterford is on his way," she said to us as our eyes met hers. As soon as she finished the sentence, the door opened and in came Headmaster Rosterford, wobbling in with the aid of his cane.