Chapter Thirty-Three

I still get flashbacks. Not often, but sometimes.

Especially last night. I had a terrible dream, and it was almost as if I was right back in the tunnel of Beaumont Academy, my wrists bound to each other and my feet tied to the legs of the chair. I could even taste the blood as my skin was ripped off of my lips with a yank of the duct tape.

Today was finally the day: Former-Headmaster Arthur Rosterford's trial.

I wouldn't miss it for the world. When I got the call that they had set a date, Tatum and I both contacted the administration at Stanford, the college we went to, and told them that we'd be absent that day.

I didn't get into Yale, my dream school. It was okay. I never cried about it. Every time I'd want to cry over something, I'd think about the secret tunnel. It never seemed very bad compared to that.

But, I did get into Stanford. The best part was that Tatum did, too. We're still together. His grandmother's engagement ring that fit perfectly on my finger was a symbol of that.

Tatum and I purchased our plane tickets to fly back to Boston the moment we knew when the trial was. Marisol, Aspen, Lindsay, and Carlisle all flew back from their colleges, too. Everyone would be there, including my family and Tatum's, even his grandmother Gertrude.

Marisol had called me recently, saying the prosecution had called her, asking if she'd like to testify at the trial.

"I can't testify. You should," she said.

"Why me?" I asked. We were both there; we heard the same things.

"He explained everything to you, Kayleigh. I didn't really listen that well while I was calling the police. I was focusing on him not seeing my phone. You know everything about it, more than I could explain."

So I agreed to testify against Rosterford, although the last thing I was looking forward to was seeing him again.

"Don't be nervous," Tatum said to me as we walked into the courthouse, hand-in-hand.

He had said the same thing to me before I spoke at Ivy's funeral, and just like then, I said, "I'm not."

"You'll do great." Tatum kissed me on the cheek. "You're honest and powerful. You'll scare the hell out of the defense."

 "I hope so," I said, smiling. Tatum knew exactly what to say to make me feel better.

Right when I stepped into the courthouse, I saw my girls. They all looked amazing. Aspen was absolutely glowing, a result of her being pregnant. And this time, she was definitely more than two weeks along. Her stomach poked out adorably and she was holding hands with none other than Foster, the hand that he held donned a large engagement ring.

Lindsay was there with Ian beside her, engaged as well. Surprise, surprise.

Carlisle and Marisol were the only ones not wearing engagement rings. They didn't seem to mind. Marisol was talking to some tall, older-looking guy, and Carlisle conversed with Aspen and Lindsay, seeming as if she didn't have a care in the world. I had never seen her so happy.

"Hey, girls," I said. They all turned to look at me and ran up, pulling me into hugs and complimenting me on my ring.

"There is someone special I want you to meet," Marisol said enthusiastically, gesturing toward the man. "Kayleigh, meet my father."