Part 8

“Hello, Michael.”

Charlie entered the room nervously, uncomfortable for not being on her usual working place. Michael stood up, visibly happy.

“Charlotte! You are here!”

“Yes, I am. How are you, Michael?”

“I am well, I am very well!”

She felt heartwarming to see Michael smiling innocently and genuinely at her; it was so refreshing to see his blatant joy.

“Michael, do you remember when we saw some pictures together?” Charlie asked, sitting by the chair before him and inviting him to sit again.

“Yes, of course.”

“I would like to do something similar to that today.”

“Did you bring more pictures? I liked the last ones you brought, most of them were happy pictures.”

“No, Michael. Today we won’t be seeing pictures. I want you to listen to something, and as you do, tell me what you feel, what you think, like you did last time, okay?”

“Listen to something?”

“Yes. I will play music to you,” she explained, taking a little remote control from her pocket. “Can we start?”

“Oh yes, as you wish, Charlotte.”

Charlie pressed the start button, and as she did, the famous song “The Way You Look Tonight” by Frank Sinatra started playing. She paid very much attention to every reaction of Michael. First he smiled, and then he closed his eyes, as if he was enjoying the melody.

“Wow, Charlotte, what a beautiful thing!” He exclaimed “A song! It’s so beautiful!”

“It’s a very beautiful and famous song,” she said.

“Do you like it?”

“Yes, very much.”

“I am sure you do. I think this song was made for beautiful women. He says ‘the way you look tonight’. And you are a beautiful woman, Charlotte.”

Charlie laughed, delighted. How long had it been since she had heard a compliment like that? She couldn’t even remember. And the fact it came from Michael somehow made her feel proud about it.

“Thank you, Michael, that is very kind.”

“Oh, the song is over!” he said, sadly. “What a pity! It was beautiful.”

“It’s alright. I have more.”

She pressed the button again, and George Benson’s “Nothing Gonna Change My Love For You” started playing loud and clear in the room. Michael’s smile was even bigger, and he started moving his hands a bit awkwardly.

“This is even more beautiful, Charlotte! It makes me want to move,” he laughed. “What is he saying? Who is the one he is singing it for?”

“Probably his lover,” Charlie said, knowing that Michael had reached the point she wanted; he had been able to activate the program in the system by the songs sensations.

“Oh, so that is how someone feels about a lover?” He asked. “Love? That is how you call it?”

“Love,” she nodded. “Something that happens between lovers. It is stronger than friendship.”

“Oh, I can see how he sings like this, then.” Michael frowned. “Does love mean someone else wants you the way you are?”

“Well, yes.”

“Does it mean you want to be with someone and take care of you?”

“Yes, Michael.”

“But it sounds like friends, and it sounds like parents and children. Still, this is different, I can feel it!” He closed his eyes, confused.

“Well,” Charlie found it difficult to explain. “It is different. You love your parents and your friends in a way. You love a lover in another way. You want to,” she hesitated. “you want to hold that person and be together forever, every day, every minute. You want to spend your life together and have plans.”

“Love,” he repeated “I see it. You want to know what I think, Charlotte?”

“Yes, of course, Michael.”

“I think love is beautiful, because it makes you feel everything else at the same time.”

She looked down, thoughtfully. Indeed, he was right. And he was able to say it better than any other human she had ever met.

“Oh, the song is over,” he said, once again sad. “Can love be over too, like songs?”

“Not real love, no,” she said. “It’s not like a song. It is with you all the time.”

“I like that,” he smiled.

“One last song?” Charlie asked, pressing the button again to play Andy William’s “Love Story”

Michael took a deep breath, looking blissfully happy. “So beautiful,” he whispered.

With her first hello, she gave new meaning to this empty world of mine…

“Charlotte!” He said, suddenly surprised. “But that is you!”

“What?” she felt her cheeks blushing.

“Yes! It is you! You gave new meaning to my life when you spoke to me! We became friends, and you were the first person who spoke to me and became my friend.”

His eyes were shining, as if he had just made an important and amazing discovery.

“This is about you too! Did you hear? He said ‘She fills my heart with very special things’! It is you who do it, isn’t it? Dr. Gregory told me that everything I feel is because you make me feel it!”

“Michael, I –” Charlie had lost her words to that sudden and pure realization, but Michael did seem to notice her reaction.

“And this too, Charlotte, listen! ‘I know I’ll need her ‘til the starts all burn away and she’ll be there’. I don’t know what he means by burning the stars, though. Why would he do that? But I know that if I need you, you will be there.”

“It’s… a metaphor. He means he will need her until the end,” she replied, breathless.

“Oh, so will I!”

The song was over, and Michael once again showed sadness.

“No, no… Charlotte, can you please play it again? I like this song very much!”

It was not on her plans, but his face as pleading; his beautiful eyes could be filled with tears, if he was human.

“One more time, then.”

She pressed the replay button, and the song played again. Michael stood up and walked slowly with his eyes closed; his steps were synchronized according to the melody. Charlie realized he was trying to dance.

“I don’t know what I am doing,” he said, looking at her. “But this song makes me want to move.”

“It’s fine, Michael. You are dancing to the song. Many people do it.”

“Really?” he laughed. “How odd! But very well, join me.”

“What? No, Michael, I –” but he quickly grabbed her hand, making her stand up and be face to face with him. He was a head taller than her, so Charlie had to look up. Gently, he took both of her hands, making her join his awkward dance.

“It’s beautiful,” he repeated, looking at her. “It’s really beautiful.”