Part 16

“Charlie?”

Caroline looked at her sister, worried; it had been three days that Charlie was in bed, apparently sick. She knew her sickness was love hangover, but she respected Charlie’s moment.

“What?” she groaned.

“I need to go out now, I will come back only in the morning?”

“Ok,” Charlie replied.

“It’s for work, actually,” Caroline explained. “There will be a convention of the CBI annual fund raising party and I will cover it.”

“The CBI party?” Charlie turned her head so quickly it hurt. “You’re going to the CBI party?”

“I need to,” Caroline said apologetically. “I’m sorry.”

“Well, go,” Charlie groaned. “If you see Mike, kick him in the balls for me.”

“I’ll try my best.”

Caroline left Charlie alone, knowing she needed time and space to cope with all her feelings. But truth was, Charlie didn’t want to cope. She didn’t want to let that amazing feeling go away. It was so odd that the one who appreciated her the most was not even human. But that had no importance to her anymore. It didn’t matter how Michael had been created; he was a miracle, and he was real. Nothing could change her mind about that. And she loved him, she loved him so much…

The cell phone rang, and interrupted her thoughts; she turned on her bed, wrapping herself on her blankets. “No! Whoever it is, it can wait! Not today!

It stopped ringing, but then it started again and again. “Oh, good Lord! Who could it be?” Charlie finally gave in and checked the screen; it was Walter Gregory.

“Walter?” she finally answered.

“Charlotte, thank god you picked up the phone!” he said.

“What’s the matter?”

“I called you as soon as I could,” his voice sounded nervous. “Charlie, I’m sorry to interrupt you now. I know it's late but I have to tell you something.”

“What? What happened?!”

“Michael’s missing.”

Charlie immediately sat up, feeling her stomach freezing. “Missing? What do you mean?!”

“He’s gone. Somehow he managed to freeze the monitoring cameras, and when I went to his room to check on him… He was already gone.”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” she stood up, already opening her closet searching for clothes, not even caring she had not had a bath in two days.

“No,” he said. “Stay where you are, Charlie. Don’t get involved. I wasn’t even supposed to be calling you now. I just thought you’d want to know.” He sighed, worried. “Promise me you won’t leave your house.”

“But Walter –”

“Promise me, Charlotte! I could lose my job for this.”

She sighed, angry. “Fine. But you have to keep me updated. Tell me everything.”

“I will,” he said, quickly hanging up. Charlie grabbed her hair, frustrated. “Damn! What the hell! Where did that idiot go! It’s 11PM!”

Charlie’s anger did not get better with the sudden knock on her door. She shook her head, furiously.

“Oh, no, not now!” she screamed to no one. But the vehement knocks continued, causing her head to ache with the stress and the noise.

“Who could possibly be at that time?!” She cussed as she went to the door. Whoever it was, they kept knocking urgently.

“Who is it?!” she screamed at the same time she opened the door. For her shock, the tall and handsome figure of Michael was standing there, looking as if he had no idea how he had gotten there.

“Michael!”

“Charlotte, I had to see you,” he said, walking in.

“What?! How –”

“I ran away,” he said, simply. “I froze the cameras, got dressed and ran away. They have no idea where I am.”

“They called me, they know you’re missing!”

“Yes, but they don’t know where I am,” he said, taking Charlotte’s hands. “I couldn’t bear it. I needed to see you.”

“Michael, I –” but he didn’t let her talk; instead, he pressed his lips against hers, on a desperate, loving kiss. All Charlie’s tension and worried were washed away by that kiss, and soon she found herself wrapping him around her arms.

“Charlotte…” he whispered, but she put a finger on his lips.

“Don’t talk.”