Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I faced the opposite direction whilst Sophie dragged on her cigarette. I'd tried to tell her endless times to quit, but she didn't have the willpower. I didn't believe her wanting to die young excuse.

"It smells ugly," Marla complained. "I'm going to stop coming out here soon."

"You've been saying that for two years now. I don't buy it."

"I still can't figure out why I haven't followed through," Marla scuffed her brogues against the curb. "It's literally minus temperatures out here now. I should be wrapped up against a radiator somewhere trying to meet eyes with attractive people."

"Speaking of hot people." Sophie hacked out a cough and I cringed. "Guess who I'm going on a date with this weekend?"

"Sophie you know about five times more people than I do. It could be anyone." Sophie went through crushes quicker than her packs of cigarettes. She'd never been on more than two dates with someone and she'd never gone further than a hand up her shirt.

"It could not be anyone." She stamped on her cigarette butt and scowled at me. "It's Liam. I've been going on about Liam for ages and you know that."

Marla raised an eyebrow. "Personally, I wouldn't class a week as ages, but I do remember you talking about him." Sophie opened her mouth, but Marla changed direction before she could be snapped at. "So, where are you going?"

"We're just going out for a meal."

"Where to? Somewhere fancy?" The idea of going on a first date to a fancy restaurant scared me a bit. It felt like there was already too much pressure if you spent that much money on a first date.

"Just to one of those all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet places. I hope I don't make myself look like too much of a pig."

Marla and I chuckled. I wrapped my coat further around myself and turned against the gust. "I'm sure he'll love you."

"I hope so. I really like this one."

"You say this about all of them."

"Guys," she wined, as we headed back towards the school, filtering in with the rest of the crowd. "I'm sure I'm not that bad. You exaggerate."

"Maybe, but you under-exaggerate, too," I said. My stomach was beginning to twist the further into school we got. "Hey, you guys are coming to my dance class tonight, right?" Sophie would probably be glad to escape our teasing for a while.

"I can't," she apologised, stopping so that we could finish our conversation before she diverted to her classroom. "I'm really bad at dancing and I've committed to the badminton team now. I'm sure your class will be great, though."

"I'm coming," Marla promised, her grin wide. She hadn't had the years of training like me, but she was a natural and she always surprised me when she started a new dance. "I'm really excited to learn Rumba. It looks so sexy."

"I'm hoping it isn't all old people that show up. I don't fancy showing old men how to roll their hips."

Sophie smirked and waved her goodbye before disappearing into the crowd. Marla sent me a look. "You're nervous?"

"For the class?" We both knew she wasn't talking about that class. I was nervous about the dancing lessons, though. It would be the first time I'd led a dancing class and this was my dream. It's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. If I screwed this up, I had no idea what I'd do.

"Not the dancing class. Your next class."

I cringed even at the mention of it. "I want to curl up in a corner and cry instead of going in there."

"It won't be that bad. Nothing will even happen. He'll just straight up ignore you."

"I don't want to be ignored. I want things to be normal. I used to get a polite teacher-y smile. I was satisfied with that."

"Well, you shouldn't have agreed to play truth and dare, then," she teased and stopped at the edge of her corridor. "Seriously, it's not that much of a big deal. He'll just teach his lesson the same as normal."

"I know. I do know that, it's just mortifying knowing that he's thinking about what an idiot I am."

"I know, but you'll get over it. At least we didn't embarrass you in front of someone who mattered. It's your teacher, it's no big deal."

"I'll let you know how bad it was after. Catch you at lunch."

Marla gave me a smug wave before entering her classroom and leaving me to go the last ten feet by myself. It took all my willpower to force myself through the classroom. Anxiety wasn't something I had to deal with, but I was a sucker for reliving my cringy memories endlessly.

I sat down in my seat, without looking up to see whether Mr. Brennan was looking at me. My 'I'm perfectly legal' line taunted me on repeat.

When he started teaching, I relaxed a bit. His eyes were on the PowerPoint on the interactive whiteboard at the front and when he looked at the class, it wasn't to me. It was just like normal; I jotted down the notes that his deep voice dictated to me and the lesson went by in no time. I wasn't interested in university, but I tried my best at school anyway. I wasn't sure whether I enjoyed Geography because I thought it was engaging, or because I enjoyed his teaching.

Mr. Brennan was hot, there was no denying that, but he'd never featured in my fantasies like so many of the girls in class claimed. I was a sucker for fancying people I got to know. I fancied actors who weren't that attractive because I loved the character they played in something.

After our first real encounter, I almost admired him. I'd been a moron and he'd been completely professional. It had never really crossed my mind what I'd have done had he flirted back; I liked to think I'd have been aware enough to realise it was a bit sleazy.

But irritation had been his only reaction to my poor attempt at flirting, and it made me smile. He seemed like a pretty stand-up guy.

Just as the thought passed, Mr. Brennan looked away from the screen displaying population demographics and his eyes met mine. They hardened instantly and his hand tightened on the pen he was holding. It didn't last more than a few seconds, but it confirmed my fears. He was mad at me.

I slunk down in my seat. I'd get over the shame eventually, and I didn't really have to interact with him ever again.