Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I bounced on my heels as people filtered through the door. There were more than I'd expected – at least ten people loitered around, chatting. It was a cheap class, but the Rumba wasn't as popular as something like Salsa. I'd hoped for a couple of pairs, but I'd been lucky.

It was a beginner's class, planned for twelve weeks, which would cover the basics and ideally move up to some intermediate techniques for the people who had an affinity. Marla would probably be one of those people. I'd been spoilt by teaching her in the past – I was sure this would be a bigger challenge. Not everyone would be a natural tonight.

I waited until the clock hit seven before glancing at my assistant. He might have been acting as my assistant tonight, but Miguel ran the show around here. Approaching sixty now, he'd set up the dancing school well before I was born and had taught me the ways of Latin dancing from the age of thirteen when I'd first seen Strictly Come Dancing and decided it was something I wanted to try.

He nodded toward me and I stepped forward, clearing my throat and getting the class's attention. My dress for tonight was simple – a mesh, tight-fitting top that clung to my curves and then a flowing skirt that was cut in a V at the back. I felt sexy in it, though. I felt powerful. I was in charge and people were going to learn because of me.

"Hi, everyone." My smile was a bit shaky. "Welcome to this beginners' Rumba class. We're going to start with some really basic moves today, just getting used to dancing in time with the music and getting those hips moving."

I didn't miss Marla's barely hidden snort from the front row of people and I shot her a glare, my cheeks heating. Speaking in front of people wasn't my strongest suit, but when the music was on and I was showing people, I knew I could be good.

"We're going to be working in pairs for the majority of the lesson, so if you've come in a pair then stand with each other now and I'll pair the rest of you up."

Six pairs divided off, including Marla and a young looking guy that I hadn't seen before. I didn't know whether she'd brought him, or if he was someone she'd taken a shine to in the past couple of minutes. That left a man and three women.

"Sorry, there's often more women than men at these kinds of classes, do you two mind dancing together?"

They agreed without hesitation. They'd probably experienced it before.

At the stereo, I put on a simple beat, so that the 4/4 time would be obvious to everyone and the steps would hopefully remain in time. I gestured for Miguel to stand at the front with me, so that I could demonstrate the moves.

I was nervous about teaching the Rumba. Miguel's family were Cuban, even if he'd been born and raised here in Sheffield, and it was the first Latin dance he'd learnt. It held a special place in his heart and I really didn't want to butcher it.

We demonstrated the basic steps three times so people could see, and then I let them loose. I'd been right about Marla – she picked them up almost straight away and the guy she danced with didn't look too bad, either.

So, I turned my attention elsewhere. By the end of the class, I'd helped plenty of people and almost everyone was perfect with the steps I'd started with. I'd shown a few pairs some more things they could add into their basic routine, too.

Everyone was smiling and mine was the biggest.

"Well done," Miguel clapped me on the back as people exited through the frosted door on the other side of the room. "You did great, and they really like you."

"It was great!" Marla agreed, sidling up to me with a large grin. Her partner for the night had disappeared. "I can't wait for the next one. This is my favourite dance yet."

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Miguel beamed, shutting off the stereo and retrieving his coat from the back of a chair. "I'll see you again next week, or maybe before if you come in to practice. Goodnight, ladies." Miguel had to leave last to lock-up and it was his subtle way of telling us to get lost.

Grabbing my own things, I headed out of the door with Marla. "Who's your new friend?"

Marla bounced on her heels as we hovered outside the door to the studio, waving to Miguel as he drove off. "His name is Will. He just started talking to me before the class started and I think we hit it off a bit. He gave me his number."

"That's brilliant! Man, all my friends are getting so much action. I need to up my game."

"You've had your fair share of action over the years, and people are always interested in you if you want them."

She was stretching the truth in both departments with that statement. I'd had plenty of casual flings since I was fifteen, but there also wasn't anyone that I had my eye on right now. I was too focused on the dancing. I practised all the time and sat at home doodling lesson plans and routines that I could teach people. "I can't complain."

"Anyway, I have to run. I have homework for tomorrow." She zipped up her coat. "I'll see you then."

"See you tomorrow."

We went our separate ways. The walk home from the studio was only fifteen minutes and I couldn't justify buying a car for it. My parents had been pushing me to learn to drive since I'd turned seventeen, but I didn't see the point. I was within walking distance of everything I needed, it would just cost unnecessary money and pollution.

After five minutes, I was beginning to think the car might have been a good idea. I'd only cast a few glances behind me, but the same man was walking on the other side of the road, his hood up and obscuring his face.

I could never stop myself feeling a little bit vulnerable walking through the suburbs on my own when it was dark, but I did it anyway out of principle. There was no reason for me to be scared. I wasn't going to pay money to get a taxi, or buy a car, just because I was a bit of a wimp.

So, I carried out my usual tactic when I got a bit paranoid and made a pit-stop in an off-licence to pick up a packet of chewing gum. "Thanks." I smiled at the cashier, pocketed the gum and exited the shop after a couple of minutes, immediately noticing the same man leaning against a wall opposite and staring right at me.

I swallowed. It was a coincidence. It had to be. Straightening my back and pulling my coat tighter around me, I kept walking, determined not to look back. I was imagining things.

I gave in to my urge and shot a look over my shoulder, catching the faceless man keeping pace with me. Giving in to the twists of unease in my stomach, I pulled out my phone, and found my mum's number.

Just as I was about to hit call, there was a shout from behind me. I jerked around, catching someone wrap their arm around the throat of the man in the hoody. The new man was also hiding his face behind a hood, but he was taller and better built than the stranger who had been following me.

My saviour dragged my follower into an alleyway, unperturbed by the flailing arms and legs. I stood and stared, checking the streets, but no one was around. Surely someone had to have heard that muffled cry that gave my stomach an unpleasant twist. I took one step towards the alley, but chickened out.

This had nothing to do with me. He looked suspicious because of someone else. I'd just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Picking up my pace, I walked home as fast as I could, and this time, I didn't look back once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you enjoyed this preview, click the external link to buy it now on Amazon!