Chapter Three

Elena shot her hand up and stabbed a funnel into the screeching black cloud. The Migols split for an instant, and Kheelan leaned in, urging the horse to go faster toward the opening. It was our only escape. From above, a Migol perched onto a branch and dug its hind claws into the tree to keep from blowing away. It roared as we passed, and swiped down at us. Kheelan ducked, and I pressed close to him stifling a scream as the horse lunged through the opening, the beast’s claw grazing the back of my neck.

A steady tunnel of wind circulated around us, keeping the Migols just out of reach.  Elena broke way in front of us, thrusting funnel after funnel. Trees collapsed onto the wraiths and cleared the path that wound into the mountains to Gri’ah.

I braved a look back, and three wraiths’ merged, together gathering enough speed to gain on us. Its blood red eyes fixed on me, the fiery collar around its thick neck squeezing, tar oozing from its skin as it clenched tighter. It lunged, and a scream lodged in my throat when a vine of air whipped from our surrounding shaft. It flailed my cape up in passing and sliced the wraith back to units. One was wounded, evident when tar splattered onto the trees with a passing hiss.

Fire instantly shot through me. Shock from the pain darkened my sights for a moment, my hold on Kheelan weakening. I screamed, but through the screeching, the pounding hoof beats, and Elena’s violent winds, my voice went unheard, my pain unnoticed.  I cringed, and dug my hands deeper into Kheelan’s chest.  The tar that splattered on me trickled down my back, searing its path on my flesh.

“Hold on! We’re almost there!” Kheelan spoke into my thoughts, unaware of my pain. He could have easily healed me, but I didn’t want him to lose focus. He couldn’t. Not with the gates so close ahead...and death biting at our heels The pain though sent my inner compass spinning, and in Elena’s funnel I lost all my bearings. Instead of tipping forward onto Kheelan, my hands slipped from around him and I fell back.

I choked on a scream as I slammed back onto something and arms gripped me from behind. Black hair whipped my face—Elena. I don’t know how she made it so fast, but she clenched her arms around my waist and whipped the horse with a gust of wind that gave us a push forward. 

Looking ahead, for an instant I thought maybe I had died.The pearly Gates of Gri’ah stood tall, glistening under the silvery light breaking through the clouds. Its whitish hue glittered into the surrounding darkness, and for a second, my heart swelled. We were safe. But approaching the gates, my blood ran cold. A line of Fae sentries manned the perimeters. In noting our approach, they didn’t move nor tried to help in any way. They stared straight ahead, their gleaming breastplates blinding.

In frightening synchronicity, the assembled Fae extended their hands in front of them. I thought they motioned for us to stop, but suddenly the wraiths behind us arched their flight pattern, and waved into the air. Gone.

Our horses whined, rearing to a sharp stop when the Migols descended again like black shooting stars, and landed with a roaring crash before the each Fae. A flaming leash shot out from each guard’s hand, attaching to the Migols’ fiery collars.  The beasts growled and hissed, but didn't dare move. I understood then. These Migols belonged to these Fae, and the Fae guards tamed the Migols with fire. Fire was the only thing that could kill them,  fire was the only thing that could control them.

Still, we’d made it to the gates—alive. I made to breathe, but the Fae fixed us with their cold gazes, and it gripped my lungs. If I gagged, I would have vomited shards of ice. A dispiriting thought settled in my mind. Elena’s premonition said we would reach the Gates of Gri’ah. We did. But would we ever make it inside?

There was silence for a moment.

 “Who is in charge here?!”  Kheelan roared, the ground around him icing over. I was surprised I understood him, but then realized I’d never broken our connection. He swung off of his horse, and I grimaced at the sharp cracking of the ice when he landed. I’d never heard him in that tone, nor felt him so…dark. His anger was so out of character, I was scared.