Chapter 4 - But Satisfaction Brought It Back.

Lennon.

In retrospect I didn’t mind working on a Wednesday, it was the middle of the week and most of the time the bakery was pretty dead. The start of the week rush had ended and the end of the week madness didn’t usually start until tomorrow. Wednesday was just a day I could take it easy. I still had to bake, make and decorate but it was slightly more tolerable than any other day of the week. 

I was in a chirpy mood since my day had started off one of my favourite ways. Just as I finished my bowl of cocopops I noticed an editing error in the book I was reading; The Only Sister, by James Craig. It was a weird interest of mine; it always gave me a sense of accomplishment if I found a mistake in a book.

As much as I loved to read, I loved to fix peoples mistakes. I never rang the publisher or anything, but I did correct it in my book. Dom thought I was weird, heck even Nia thought I was slightly crazy. “Why can’t you just enjoy the book instead of nit picking?” She would often say. Everyone enjoys different things, I just happen to enjoy reading and technically proof reading for the already published author. It also helped me with my writing technique. If someone ever found a mistake in my work I’d probably have a meltdown. Maybe not literally, but it would annoy me to hell. 

“Lunch break?” Floyd quipped, as he walked into the kitchen and grabbed one of the fresh rolls off the shelf.

“They’ve just come out of-“

“Fuck, hot!”

“The oven.” I cringed, finishing my previous sentence as I watched him rush around to the sink and stuck his bright red fingers underneath it.

“Bloody hell,” he sighed with his hand still under the tap. “Didn’t expect it to be that hot.”

“Sorry, should’ve warned you.”

“Don’t worry, my fault. I shouldn’t be stealing food anyway. The wife says I need to diet,” he laughed, rubbing his rather big stomach with his non-burnt hand. “Don’t see why she would say that though. I’m sure Victoria Secret will be ringing me up any day now, wanting a new top model.”

“Don’t forget about me when you’re rich and famous then,” I jested whilst I wiped the remains of flour from my hands onto the front of my apron.

“Wouldn’t dream of it. I’d hire you as my personal chef anyway. No one, and I mean no one can beat your Belgian buns.”

“They are pretty good aren’t they?” I smirked back.

“Don’t get too big headed missy, or else I leave you to bake another four hundred loaves of bread.”

“Oh God no, last week was enough thanks. I have guns of steel now.”

“Sure you do sweetheart. Now go for your lunch break before I take it for you.”

“Alright, alright, I’m going.” I chuckled before pulling my apron over my head and strolled into the very small staffroom.

I grabbed my bag and switched my work t-shirt for my white blouse, before I walked into the front of the shop.

“Have a nice lunch,” Nia called out as I passed her. I gave her a swift nod and reply.

“Thanks, see you in a hour.” With a small wave I quickly left the shop and breathed a deep, city polluted breath of air.

I didn’t set out to go anywhere in particular, in fact I was looking for a quiet spot to catch up on some writing, but instead I found myself across the street from my old university. The University of East London Town – I have no idea why they put ‘Town’ on the end, for a start London isn’t anything close to a town, it’s a city, a Capital City for that matter.