Chapter 36 - Death's Door.

Lennon.

“The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool.”

“Len-“

“You have got to be kidding me. Are you fucking serious?!” I balled my fists up and slammed them against his chest with enough force to make him stumble backwards. I kept hitting him repeatedly as hard as I could until he gripped around my wrists. “I trusted you!” 

My lips were parted from shock and despair as I looked up at him. His grip was painfully tight around my arms but that’s not the reason why I wanted to scream. I felt Harry’s hand around my shoulder and pulled me away abruptly. I was glaring at Dom, my hands itching to strike him again. I shook my head at him, I gritted my teeth again, this time to stop the tears that wanted to fall – was there not a single person who wouldn’t fuck me up emotionally? 

“All this time?” I proposed the question, waiting silently for his answer. He looked up towards the sky before meeting my gaze again. He parted his lips as if he was going to speak but silence still filled the air. He opened his mouth again, this time replying much to my dismay. 

“Of course you trusted me, you were vulnerable and at risk. The thought of betrayal didn’t even cross your mind.” It was like he had rehearsed this moment several times in his head, maybe before he went to bed or when he first woke up in the morning, but he was prepared. 

“I told you everything.”

“Which was highly appreciated, you really helped give us the upper hand.” He smirked, the man behind him coughing subtly to cover his laughter. I growled at him and narrowed my eyes fiercely.

“You set me up with James on purpose, why the fuck did I not see this before?!”

“Because you’re not as smart as you think you are, silly infantile little girl.”

“She’s smarter than you’ll ever be!” 

The next turn of events happened so fast I barely had chance to blink. Harry shoved past me and his fist was colliding with Dom’s face in seconds. An evident crack shattered through the air followed by a whimper from Dom. His face was dripping with blood like a flowing river. My eyes widened at the sight of his face, his nose was completely crooked and indented. The strength behind Harry’s hit astounded me, he shook of his fist as he stood over Dom, who was cowering on the floor holding onto his face, the blood gushing through his hands. Zayn quickly grabbed a hold of Harry, pulling him back before he slammed him into the ground even more. 

“He’s not worth your energy.” And Zayn was right, we still had Sykes to get to. 

The man behind Dom had scarpered back inside, we were left in silence outside of the door which was wide open. I looked over at Zayn and Harry, flicking my head towards the door. Zayn pulled his gun from his belt and held it ready for an attack. Harry cocked the machinegun so the barrel was fully loaded and Oil spun his knife in his hand. I looked back in the distance to where we had come from. The SUV was still parked up but the driver was nowhere to be seen. I cursed under my breath, there was no sight of him. 

We had no idea what was inside, how many people were inside and what was waiting for us. It was almost like walking into a death trap. I was about to walk in first but Harry slammed his arm across the front of my chest and stepped ahead of me, almost winding me. We climbed over Dom who was clearly pale and close to passing out from all the blood loss. I cringed when Harry kicked him in the head, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he stopped whimpering. Harry looked almost satisfied with his handy work.