Chapter 4 - You Like Punks, Don't You?

Dan's POV

At the end of the boring school day, I went to my locker and discovered Emma not to be there, which was odd. I opened it and put away my books, and as I closed my locker door, a familiar face was eying me. The punk.

I looked at him, a bit confused as to why he was there. He just stared back. I scaled my eyes at his blue hair, piercings, semi muscular body, and his blue eyes. He was good looking. I felt a bit red.

"Um," I said nervously, avoiding awkward eye contact. "Can I help you?"

"I heard what you said earlier today," he said in a rather husky voice – not strong nor nervous, but right in between, "about liking punks?"

I blushed furiously out of embarrassment, shrugging into my shoulders and keeping my arms crossed nervously in front of me, not sure what else to do with them. "W-well," I stuttered, "just because I like punks doesn't mean I like all punks. It's not like you have to worry about me being weird with you just because I'm gay and you're punk and you're kinda..." I was about to say handsome, but he cut me off and shoved a crumbled piece of paper into my hands. He took one last look at me and walked away.

I blinked. That's it? I unraveled the paper. On it was a phone number and a small message:

Text me. Don't call me. Don't tell anyone.

I blushed again. I folded the paper neatly and put it in back pocket of my jeans.

As I began to walk, thoughts raced in my mind.

Why does he want to talk to me? That one's name is Phil, right? I'm pretty sure it was Phil. What does he mean? Does he... like me? Ha ha, no, of course not.

There was a tap on my shoulder. "Dan?"

"Emma? Where were you?"

"Teacher kept me after class. She asked if I was okay and then asked why I wrote my name on both sides of each paper. Weird, right?"

"Em, maybe you should get that OCD checked out, just in case."

"Ha!" she laughed once. "Whatever. Anyway, are you okay? You look traumatized. Did you see a ghost?"

"No," I said. Then I remembered the note – 'Don't tell anyone.' "No, I'm fine."

"What happened?"

"Nothing." We began out the door to walk home.

"You sure?"

I giggled. "Yes, everything's fine."

She grabbed my chin and looked at my face. "Why are you blushing?"

"Ha ha, what? Am not."

"Yes you are. What happened?" She gasped. "Did someone ask you out?"

"Ha, as if."

"Why 'as if?' You're a pretty worthy bachelor compared to other boys in this school."

"Yeah, but where are the cute gay boys when you need them, am I right?"

She giggled. "Fine. I see you don't want to tell me yet. When you do, I'll be right here."

"Yeah, if I had something to tell you at all."

She stopped prodding, and just laughed.

~~~

Once home, I dropped my things on the floor and took out the piece of paper, typing in the number into my phone.

'Hello? You wanted me to text you? It's Dan ^-^'

I awaited a response, which came surprisingly soon.

'Yeah, hey'

'Soooo why did you want me to text you?'

'You like punks, don't you?'

'...uh, I guess so, yes.... but that doesn't mean anything weird has to happen, and just bc I'm gay doesn't mean I want to have sex with you... are you mad at me because I said that or something?' My fingers trembled a tad, worried for an answer.

'No'

I was relieved. 'Then why did you want me to text you?'

'Do you want to go out?'

I jumped in shock and anticipation. I just got asked out? By Phil? Of all people, a punk, too? I always thought this one was straight. 'Really? Are you kidding?' I responded.

'Would I srsly go through all this trouble to be kidding you? Wtf do you think?'

He meant it! 'Ok! :D Sure! When?'

'Friday. Meet me at the cinema at 7'

'Sounds like fun! Can I just ask one thing?'

'Sure'

'Why do you, Phil, who hangs out with the baddest punks in school, who can get any girl he wants, want to go out with me??'

'I think you're cute ok? Now don't tell anyone, clear?'

'I understand ^-^ and thank you <3 I do think you're really cute too, I just didn't want to say anything...'

'Ha... well thanks'

I shrugged my shoulders close to myself. Maybe he was actually very sweet. He sure seemed that way.

Phil's POV

I sighed. The pastel boy, er, I mean Dan, seemed a bit jumpy, like he was excited to go out with me. Maybe he was.

"Jeez," I sighed quietly to myself. "I'm so awkward."

I began wondering what I was going to do for him. I should do something nice on Friday at the cinema. Maybe bring him something? What did he like? Did guys like the same things girls did? I realized I had no clue how to date a guy. Maybe this was a bad idea. I received another text, but not from Dan.

'Hey Phil,' it said, from Alex. 'Come over my place. My bro got me another pack of cigs'

'No thanks man. Busy'

'Doing what?? Just come over'

'I'm tired man'

'Stop being so lame'

'Hey can I ask you something serious or are you just going to be a jerk?'

'Sure whatever'

'If you've got a date with someone you really like, what do you do for them?'

'Whoa man, who are you going out with?'

'None of your business. Answer my question or don't'

'Idk. Take them somewhere special? Buy them something personal? Just be nice I guess'

'Gee thanks'

'So who is it? It's that girl from English, isn't it'

'No and it's none of your business so don't bother asking'

I threw my phone down. I knew better than to go to someone like him for advice. If I was going to seem impressive or good enough for Dan, I would have to figure it out on my own.