Chapter 16 - It Was Alex

Dan's POV

I didn't in any way want to go to school. My parents forced me, and said that if anyone gave me trouble that I could come home. I went, and was escorted by Emma.

"I know I shouldn't ask," she said on our walk there, "but you and him, you had sex?"

"Yeah."

"He's disgusting for doing that to you."

"I know."

"He said he loved you?"

"Yes."

"Even worse."

I shrugged.

"Did you... say it too?"

"Yes."

"Did you mean it?"

How can I answer that now? Had I meant it? If I said no now, would it be a lie? "I don't know."

We made it to school, and I instantly felt a ping of sickness. I didn't want to be here where he or Alex or anyone else could see me.

My first class with Phil was awful. He was looking at me most of the time. He had a bruise on either side of his nose and a drop or two of dried blood that he hadn't bothered to clean. I didn't know Emma could be so aggressive.

Several pieces of paper, all torn up and small, appeared on my desk whilst my head was down. I crumbled and threw them all out. I didn't want to see what he had to say, but I had something to say to him:

'Stop giving me notes. I don't care. I gave myself to you and you dumped me! I thought you were different. I thought you were special. I gave you a chance and you used me like a tool. I should have trusted Alex the first time when he warned me about you. Now leave me alone.'

I felt almost sick as I balled up the paper and threw it at him. It didn't feel right. It was the harshness of my own words that forced me to believe that what I was doing was right – even though I knew it wasn't.

I watched him read it. Without saying or doing anything, he got up and left the classroom, shading his face from people. He left his school books in the room, leading me to believe that he would come back. He didn't.

Phil's POV

I left the classroom after Dan's note. I didn't want anyone to see me cry. I sat in the hall and quietly cried alone. What did I do? Did I do something wrong? Was I bad at being a boyfriend? Maybe Alex was right about me having a bad reputation as a boyfriend. Maybe Dan didn't like that.

Wait.

I reread Dan's angry note to me. 'I should have trusted Alex.'

I didn't do anything. It was Alex.

I waited for class to let out and I saw the vivid red of his hair walking. I went up to him and shoved his shoulders against a locker.

"What did you say to Dan?" I questioned immediately.

"Whoa, Phil! Chill out! What do you mean?"

"What did you say to him? Why don't you tell me why he's mad at me?"

"Hey, all I did was say what I assumed. You know, that you'd probably break up with him."

"What else?" I asked angrily, shoving him harder against the wall. "I know that isn't all."

He cringed back. I was hurting him. With a strain, he admitted the truth: "And I told him you broke up with him."

A small crowd of people began to gather around us.

"Why?! Why would you break us up? Did you have a problem with me dating a guy?!" I shouted in his face. "I'm bisexual! Get over it!"

"Hey man, I don't care if you like dick or not. That isn't my business."

"Then why would you do that to him? Why would you do that to me?!"

The crowd grew.

"Dan was really important to me, and he still is! He's the most perfect human being ever, and you'd just tear us up like that? How could you?! What's your problem?"

He didn't speak. I let go of him.

"Are you jealous? Jealous that we aren't friends anymore? That he has all my attention and you don't?"

"You're so selfish, Phil. Why would I be jealous of not having your attention?"

In the crowd, I noticed a flower crown make it's way to the front. Dan's scared, beautiful brown eyes were watching me, I knew. I didn't look at him.

"I love him, you jerk! Why would you do that? Tell me!"

He eyed me, not speaking. He broke away from my grip, and I felt his knuckles dig into my chin with a tight sucker punch.