Chapter Sixty-Seven : HANNAH

The bedroom door closed with a bang. Startled, Hannah sat up and looked around the empty room. Someone had opened the curtains and the window. She snatched the covers up around her neck, as the icy air flooded into the room. The door reopened and Maud walked in.

"Tea," she said, placing it down heavily on the bedside table. "General Briggs won't breakfasting with you this morning. He's asked that you be ready to leave by ten o'clock when the car arrives. There's a navy suit in the wardrobe for you to wear." Maud disappeared into the en-suite bathroom.

Hannah looked over to the bedside clock. It was just after 9am, the latest she'd ever slept, but then she had been wide awake until just after five, when finally exhaustion claimed her. Feeling groggy and somewhat nauseous, she sipped at the hot tea.

"That's your bath run. Thirty minutes," chided the housekeeper, who left the room, before Hannah could say thank you or tell her that a she would have preferred a shower. She padded over to the bathroom, welcoming its heat and humidity. Once in the tub, she slid down beneath the bubbles until she was completely immersed. The hot, scented water loosened her muscles, but did nothing to soothe her mind, as she went over the plans for the day ahead. The very first thing she needed to do was to ring Scott. She had to tell him and soon.

The housekeeper had returned to her room, while she was bathing and laid out the suit, with some hosiery and underwear across the bed. The lack of privacy and being told what to wear made her even more irritable. It was almost worth becoming Briggs' heir apparent just so she could send that bitter, woman packing.

Once dressed, Hannah stood in front of the mirror. With her hair scraped up into a tight bun and wearing only a little make-up, she glanced down at her outfit. The navy suit had a faint, narrow burgundy pinstripe, and the pencil-straight skirt and the tailored jacket fitted well, annoyingly so. Shiny court shoes finished off the outfit, which screamed money and position, and was about as close to a military uniform as civilian clothes could be. If this was to be her battle dress, then so be it

Hannah picked at the breakfast, which she'd found cooling on a plate in the kitchen. Not in the slightest bit hungry, she forced down a little bit of toast under the ever watchful eye of the housekeeper, who seemed to enjoy glaring at her.

"Will the General be down soon?"

"No. He isn't here. He left at six."

"So, we won't be travelling together then?"

"No. Your car will be here in ten minutes."

Hannah relaxed a little and saw an opportunity.

"I'd like to make a call, is there a phone I could use?"

Maud turned and peered at Hannah, her eyes narrowing.

"I'm not sure the General would allow that."

"I'm only going to call, Diana, my birth-mother to see if she is coming today. I won't be on for very long and it'll get me out from under your feet for a bit."

Clearly wanting to be rid of Hannah, more than she was bothered about Briggs rules, she replied. "Use the one in the study. You'll need to dial one first."

"Thank you."

At the door of the study, Hannah listened carefully to make sure no one else was about. She turned the brass handle slowly and entered the room, heading straight to desk. From her suit pocket she retrieved a small piece of paper, Scott had given to her. She unfolded it carefully, picked up the vintage handset and dialled his number.

The phone rang out just once.

"Scott." Just hearing his voice calmed her a little.

"It's me. I know you said to only call in an emergency, but I have to tell you something."

"Hannah? This is not a good time."

"But, it is Briggs, he ..."

"What line are you ringing on?"

"The phone in the study, it's all right, no-one is ..."

"Nothing's all right at the moment and certainly not on this line."

"But..."

The call was cut off. Stung by his abruptness, she lowered the handset and stood looking at it. Nearly every encounter she'd had with him had been in the midst of some fraught and difficult situation, but he'd never once sounded rattled, until just then.

"Your car is here." Hannah flinched. The housekeeper stood in the doorway and looked down at the phone that Hannah still held in her right hand. "I've given the driver a coat for you. It'll be very cold up there on that platform."

Maud  disappeared again, before Hannah had a chance to reply. How long has she been standing there? Hannah replaced the handset in its cradle. She smoothed down her hair, tucking a stray end behind her ear and then went to the awaiting car.