Chapter 25

The following few days were spent mostly by the girls trying to get Zach’s attention. Some of them lingered around Liam who never explained the reason why he was staying. Julianne chose to spend the whole week working on her computer and talking with Kim.

The next Rose Ceremony came in a rush, with Jack Carter explaining that he was informed that two more ladies will have to go home.

“There were some problem with the budget and I think we all have to adjust,” he had said.

“But that’s not fair!” Pauline blurted out in horror. “The last time, you sent two girls home and now you’re sending two more?”

Jack closed his eyes as the other ladies chimed in agreement to Pauline. “This is not something I can control. Nor is it Zach’s. In shows like this, we have twists, understand?”

Julianne rolled her eyes as the others groaned. Kim shared a look of amusement with her and they giggled silently.

 *****

Zach on the other hand couldn’t agree more. He was itching to get out of the show and pursue Julianne to prove that his feelings were genuine. If there was one thing he loved in the show, it was the unexpected increase of numbers of girls to send home. The faster the show ended, the better for him because Julianne never showed any indication that she would want to stay.

That afternoon, while the girls retired to their room, probably plotting against each other now, Liam handed him a bottle of beer.

“Seems like you’re gonna have some more problems…” his friend uttered, sitting beside him on the steps outside the house.

“I don’t see any problem,” Zach grinned. “The sooner this is over, the better.”

“You’ll have to tell Julianne about the bet though,” Liam uttered.

Zach looked at him squarely in the eyes and said, “Look man, you know the bet is off.”

“Says who?”

“Me,” Zach pointed at his chest.

“Then I guess I’ll have to think of the consequence I have to give you.”

“We didn’t say there’s a consequence. You should feel happy now that you were right and I was wrong. You can mock me but there’s no way there’s a consequence.”

“There will be a consequence, Zach. I’m serious man,” Liam added when Zach scowled. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing big. Just a little deed you have to make.”

Zach knew Liam took the bet seriously and he was not sure if he would like this consequence his friend was talking about.

 *****

“I’m going to back out,” Kim uttered to her the next day, just hours before the ceremony. The crew was busy preparing the place, and Brent was already in his suit and tie, reading his lines.

“You talked with Jack about it?” Julianne guessed.

“Yes,” Kim nodded eagerly. “This show’s going to end soon and I guess I’ll just have to wait.”

“He’s head over heels over you so don’t worry,” she took her friend’s hand gently.

“I’m not. I’m just not patient.”

“You’re not going to show up here any time soon for a visit, right?” she asked.

“No, of course not. God, the ladies will be horrified to know there’s something going on between me and the director.”