Chapter 32

Zach heaved a sigh of relief when he entered his father’s hospital room. The man looked like he was ready to go skiing. But why did he want to see his son all of a sudden? That really scared Zach. One, he was not ready to lose his old man yet, and two, he was not surely ready to take over Astor Industries.

“The doctor said you we can’t stress him out,” his mother whispered beside him.

“He looks okay,” Zach pointed out.

“Of course I’m okay,” his father almost exclaimed, hearing his words. “I wanted to see you for another reason.” He fixed Zach with a serious look.

Not his usual what-did-you-do-again kind of serious look, but something like, I-need-you-do-me-a-favor kind.

“I want you to get out of that show,” his father ordered.

That was shocking, Zach thought. He looked at his mother. “You didn’t tell him?”

She looked away and said, “It’s your story to tell, not mine.”

“Tell me what?” his father demanded.

“That I left the show.”

His father gave him a look of doubt for a moment before saying, “And?”

“And what?”

“Where’s Julianne?”

Okay, that one was more of a shocker.

“I don’t know for certain,” Zach said irritably. “I would know the answer to that if you didn’t make me come over here just to order me to do something I already did.” Really, his father could have just called him if he really wanted him to leave the show. But Zach also knew that the old man might have planned to take his hospitalized state to his advantage to make his son do whatever he wanted in case Zach didn’t agree to his demands.

“You don’t know where she is?” his mother gasped, clutching her chest. Really, she was doing so much drama that he almost rolled his eyes. “You should have gone after her the moment she walked out of that show!”

“Mom, I would have if you didn’t call me!”

His mother’s jaw dropped and she looked at her husband.

“Well? Is there anything else?” he asked.

“It’s about the company …” his father started.

“Can it wait?” he asked patiently.

“Are you going to handle it?” his father asked.

“I like the ranch better, but I’ll try.”

His father sighed, “Just as I thought so…”

“Well, it’s a good thing Liam’s ready and you’re fine…” his mother told her husband.

Mr. Astor just nodded and when he looked up and saw his son still standing there, he frowned. “Why are you still here?”

“I…” Zach fought hard to contain his outburst. He ordered his son to come here, flying all the way from the ranch, just for some useless family meeting? But there was something different in his father’s eyes.

Maybe the old man really thought he was dying and he wanted to see his son for the last time.

He sighed and smiled at his father. “It’s good to see you well, dad.”

Mr. Astor just nodded, his lips twitching in a smile.

Zach turned to his mother and added, “See you later, mom.”