Chapter 11

"Mabrook!" Mom celebrates, pulling me into a tight hug, and I try my best to not flinch.

I feel relieved when she pulls away. Pops pats me on the head with a smile though there is an uncertainty I see in his eyes. I squeeze his hand, wishing he never leaves my hand, wishing he never hands it to Azar. Instead, he becomes less worried as if I assured him, totally unaware of the chaos in my head.

Maliha comes towards me, hesitant to hug me, but I engulf her. "Thank you," she whispers.

"Anything for you," I say, and I hope she knows how I mean it.

Mom immediately calls Mrs. Noor to decide the Nikkah date, and Pops jots down the name of his friends and colleagues. Meanwhile, Maliha and I browse the net to select the wedding card.

Maliha looks very excited as she goes through the cards. I, on the other hand, am trying my best to not break down. I simply agree to whatever card Maliha chooses and put on a convincing smile.

How would have Azar reacted? I wonder. I can almost hear his I told you so. Am I that predictable? I sigh inwardly. I have to be strong, but it is so hard to be strong.

Mom comes toward us and says, "Your Nikkah is on 28th May, which is Friday."

Isn't it too soon? I want to say, but I refrain from doing so, and with a dizzy mind, I realize that Mom might have already made arrangements. I feel sick because of the twisted, but very much possible thought.

"What about the shopping?" Maliha questions, her cheeks flushed. "Will we have enough time to shop?"

"Yes, of course, only the guest list is the problem," Mom responds, smiling ear to ear. "I don't want to miss anyone. Maliha, Abeer, write down your friends list and give it to me."

"Okay," Maliha replies, and I nod. I don't have anyone to invite. I did have a few friends in school, but I don't want to call them as they would definitely recognize Azar, and I didn't make any particular friends in university.

"You are pathetic and lonely, angel, so what is the use of being an angel even?" His voice echoes in my ears. "You have me alone, and you will have me always."

"Abeer?" Pops calls out from the study, and I snap back to reality.

"Yes, I'm coming," I answer back as I head toward him.

"I want to ask you whether Eshaal forced you to say yes," he states quite bluntly, leaning on the desk. "If she did, you have every right to say no."

"No, Pops," I insist. "Mom got too emotional and panicked before. She apologized, and I know she didn't anticipate my refusal."

"Are you sure? It has only been a week. You can take more time," His offer overwhelms me, and I'm tempted to say no.

"I promise you. I have thought about it," I say instead. "This is my own decision."

"Okay, I believe you," he concurs, looking relaxed.

Maliha knocks and enters. "Pops, I made the sample as you said." She hands him the tablet, and I can tell she has been experimenting with it for a while now.

"Ma Sha Allah, this is so good. Eshaal!" He calls her, and she comes rushing into the room. Tears fill her eyes as she looks at the card.

"My babies have grown," Mom fusses over.

"Mom," Maliha calls in embarrassment.

"Save the tears for the wedding, Eshaal," Pops points out even though his own eyes fill with tears.

"Oh Allah! I almost forgot!" Mom exclaims. "Get ready you two. Noor's family is on their way to our house, and we all are going shopping together."

The truth weighs down my heart. This is where it begins. How will I face Azar? As I pin my hijab, looking at my reflection, my mind wanders away. The dream keeps coming to me... The light bursting out of Azar's heart, the clear water in his hands... He gave me water, and I took it.