Alternate Ending To The Book Thief - #1

Rudy's POV:
Recently, my feelings for Liesel have become even more powerful. Every time I think of her, it makes me smile. I truly do love her but does she feel the same? I want so bad to tell her that I love her but surely she doesn't love me, so I don't say anything. Instead I take a walk down the Ampher River where I went after her book when it fell in the cold December water.

Liesel's POV:
The Ampher River. It is a magical river. Not because of how it flows but that is where I realized that I love Rudy. Rudy, who dove for my book, who walks me to school every morning, who paints himself in dirt to be like Jesse Owens, who asks me for a kiss. Rudy is my best friend in the world and he's all I've got. I wish I could tell him how much I love him. How badly I want to give him that one kiss he's always wanted, even if it is a joke. I wish -

Rudy's POV:
I hear the bombs. I see the smoke. But I don't know where they came from. I hope that it is not Himmel street, the street named for Heaven, but sure enough, Himmel street is destroyed. As I look around the piles of debris and what once were houses, I see my mother and siblings lying in a line on the ground. I think I choke a little bit seeing them like that. My brothers and sisters, they were so young. Why them and not me?! And then I spot Liesel next to Hans and Rosa, her parents. I run over to her and kneel down next to her lifeless body. "Liesel, no! No, Liesel! Liesel, wake up! Wake up! Come on Book Thief! Wake up, Liesel! Liesel!" I slowly begin to cry and look at her. Her beautiful locks of hair that always smelled like dust because of her basement, her eyes that never again will open, and her soft, full lips. She slightly opens her eyes then and starts to speak but I tell her not to talk. "No R-Rudy I-I need t-to tell you. I love y- ..." And then her head slowly leans back as her soul escapes her body into Death's arms. I begin to cry even harder and tears fall from my face to hers. "I love you too.", I say even though she can't hear me. Then I kiss her. Her lips are soft and she is covered in dirt but I don't care. I begin to cry looking at her again. She was so beautiful. Why did she have to die? Why not me? Slowly, I stand up and then I start walking, walking far away from Himmel street; and to the Ampher River.

 Why did she have to die? Why not me? Slowly, I stand up and then I start walking, walking far away from Himmel street; and to the Ampher River