Alternate Ending #3

Rudy's POV:
I open my eyes to find myself laying on a pile of debris and wonder what I am doing here but then see all the bodies along with mine and I realize Himmel street was bombed. My ribs ache and my throat is dry, too dry I can't swallow. I look around for Liesel but I feel so weak. I can't find her. I'm scared. W- wh...

Liesel's POV:
I open my eyes just a little and find Rudy looking for me. I try to call out to him. "R-R-Ru-Ru-d-d-dy?", I whisper because my throat feels as if there was no moisture left at all. I see his eyes close and know what this means. A thousand sad thoughts race through my mind as I try to cry but all the tears are gone. They're gone. They've been spent on my mama, and Max, and the war. There's nothing left for Rudy. Rudy...

Death's POV:
This tragedy on Himmel street caused the death of many and it is my responsibility to collect their souls when their time comes. As I walk along the broken street of Heaven, I see the body of Rudy Steiner. Lifeless. I reach out to his soul as it escapes his body and into my arms. After some 5 or so more souls, I notice one person I did not expect to see. Liesel Meminger. The book thief. With fists balled by her sides, she still looks graceful. I collect her soul and it tugs at me. Begging to stay with her body. But I cannot cheat. No. I take her soul and walk with my hands folded together down the once beautiful Himmel street.

Liesel's POV:
I am brought into this new world much different than my own. Much more lonely and full of strange things surrounding me. There are people here but none whom I know. Sadness fills my eyes and I am about to walk away to who knows where when I hear the faintest voice behind me. "Liesel?"

Rudy's POV:
I stare as strange people walk past me. I feel lost and I'm all alone now. Nobody to love anymore. But then I see her. Her unmistakable curls and her big doe eyes. "Liesel?", I call out to her.

Liesel's POV:
"Rudy?" I turn around and see the boy with the lemon hair standing there waiting for me. I don't know what I am thinking now but relief floods over me and I run to him and he runs to me. When I reach him, I jump on him hugging him tight. I begin to cry so hard that my whole body is shaking.

Rudy's POV:
She suddenly jumps on me with her legs wrapped around me and her arms around my neck squeezing me. She starts to cry and I do too. She looks at me now after hugging me and smiles. I smile too but then tears swell in my eyes and again I begin to cry. "What's wrong, Rudy?", she says with a worried expression. I try to stop but the tears keep coming. Finally, I manage to get a hold of myself and with a deep breath, I tell her everything. "Liesel, I love you. All those times I asked for a kiss, I really meant it. You're different than anyone in the world and I love you so much. I would do anything for you and I will always be there for you. I know you probably don't feel the same but-" and then to my astonishment, she leans in and kisses me, soft and true on the lips. I kiss her back and we stay that way for what seems like forever.

Liesel's POV:
I pull away first but I instantly regret it. I look at Rudy. "Rudy, don't you ever say that again. I love you and always will. I've been meaning to tell you but I would always stop myself  because of my worries. But today, I will scream from the rooftops, let the world know, I'm in love with you." His face breaks out into a huge grin and it makes me laugh. His hand reaches out towards mine and I gladly accept. And then we walk away together, hand in hand, to who knows where, in our new home called Heaven.