Chapter One

"You don't choose your family. 
They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."

                    -Desmond Tutu

CHAPTER 1

Tina's POV

Packing_ that was what I was doing right now in my bedroom with two large suitcases on both of my sides. As I did, I thought of what New York looked like. Probably, there would be tall buildings, busy streets and massive running vehicles. I knew that New York was said to be the busiest city in the world, but I still wanted to go there. It had always been my dream.

When I was in my teenage years, I even joked with my parents that I would run away from them and go to New York which was such a ridiculous idea. You couldn't blame me; I really wanted to go there. But soon I realized that I have to finish my studies first and save money so that I could go there. And now, I knew that this dream would finally come true.

My flight would be tomorrow and just by thinking about it, I already missed my Mama and Papa, my siblings_ Cheri, Ron, Leo and Chard, my friends and relatives.

I prayed to God to keep my family healthy, happy and safe even if when I would be far away from them. I prayed that no matter what happen, we would stay in contact with each other.

Staring into space, I didn't notice I was crying until a lone tear rolled down my cheek.

Gosh. Don't be such an emotional wreck.

You're stronger than you thought and you know it.

So stop crying.

Sniffling, I wiped my tears away and continued packing.

I can do this. I just have to be strong.

***

Cheri's POV

I just arrived at home from school. I was a bit tired because we did a lot of activities. Actually, it was always like that, but I still wore a smile on my face. People would say me and my sister was very different. She was always the serious one and I have been always the carefree and bubbly girl. It was a fact though. My sister really took things on her own seriously.

Opening the door, I shouted, "I'm home!" That was when I heard a loud crash from the kitchen. I immediately went there to check what it was but before I could make it there, the kitchen door burst open... And there came my furious Mama with bubbles on her palms, probably washing the dishes. I smiled sheepishly at her when she started scolding me.

"How many times did I tell you to do that again? You frightened me. Look what happened. I accidentally broke the plate I was holding."

"I'm sorry, Ma."

"Don't do that again."

"I promise I won't do that again."

"Good."

With that, she went back to the kitchen and continued washing the dishes.

Mother...

I went upstairs to my bedroom. As I walked along the hallway, I noticed that my sister's bedroom door was slightly open. I silently walked towards her room and leaned on the door frame. I peaked inside and what I saw broke my heart.

There she was. My sister was packing. I continued to stare at her as she did. After a while, she just stopped and stared into space. I heard her sniffle quietly and I didn't notice that I was crying too.