{Chapter 39 : Addiction}

Vinny looked to himself in the mirror, picking apart his features. First, the blue eyes, glowering from beneath a brooding brow, then the tired rings that clung below; then to a bit of shaving cream, streaking the protruded jut of his jaw. He swiped a razor along the fine curves, clearing the last bit of stubble away, and washing his face with the water he cupped in his hands.

He still had weeks to pack his things and leave the dorms, but forty-eight hours had passed since he'd been cut from his college education, and Vincent had done nothing but sift for a solution.

He spoke to counselors, but they could do little for him. He was indebted to the school, and since Johnathan had found a way to refund himself of Vinny's last semester, he had no option but to pay the fines or take his leave. His bank accounts were closed, his credit cards frozen. All he had to his name was three one-hundred dollar bills he'd considered pocket change just days ago. There was no option but to walk away from it all.

He had never tried too hard in school, but Vinny never found something he enjoyed quite as much as automotive engineering. It allowed him to blow off his steam; dabbling in something arduous and gritty, and though it wasn't a career Johnathan would have ever approved of, it was something he felt he could have to himself. A trade in his pocket.

But that was gone now. Instead, he was left to piles of applications and background checks for a job he'd never land. He was a kid who'd flunked college, and he looked to match the part. He'd be lucky to push grocery carts in the rain.

Walking into the bedroom, he found the time on his bedside clock. It felt like a century since Kailan had left for classes. It was strange not having him around when his schedule typically synchronized so well with Vincent's. When Kailan had classes, Vinny did as well—that or he was sleeping like a stone until Kai's return. Now he was spending the days alone, and his head was beginning to feel louder and louder. It was like trying to solve calculus in the pit of a rock concert, only the crowd was shouting in conjunction, "you're fucked, you're fucked, you're fucked".

With a sigh brusque and vexing, he dragged himself to the bed where piles of paper splayed out across his sheets; jobs, demanding applicant essays for positions he would have only laughed at before. Each new page was sucking the life out of him, but he couldn't make his way in a world like this without money. And Kailan didn't have much to spare either. Supporting them both was never a concern for him before. Now, he was terrified.

He sunk into the mattress, taking a protective container from his nightstand drawer. In its velvet bed rested a pair of reading glasses—thinly framed and not a scratch on the lenses. He was more far-sighted than not, but Vinny rarely wore his reading glasses. Didn't like the feel of them.

But with strained, tired eyes and a bitch of a migraine, he fastened them on and leaned back to skim over the detailed list of requirements in his hand—most of which he didn't meet the criteria for. He'd apply for the position anyway. For once, he was in no place to be picking and choosing.