Chapter 25 | Rowan

"How do you feel? Are you nervous?"

Rowan looked over at Emma, who was bobbing up and down next to her. She looked incredible in her black dress, and even Leo had noticed. "I'm fine," she said.

She was tired of everyone looking at her with pity. Yes, she'd lost the boy. She'd been a joke.

Even Britney had been upset. Granted, it was only because he'd left town, but still. She had yet to say anything to Rowan about it, though, and for that she was grateful.

"It's time. Are you ready?" It was the head of the art department, and she was smiling; clearly pleased that an award was going to one of her students. The art majors rarely saw anything in terms of acknowledgment for their achievements, so this was an accomplishment. She just didn't care.

The only people there who knew her enough for it to matter were Emma and Leo. She doubted anyone else in that school were really concerned over who won the new "Art Achievement Award," as it had been called.

She fumbled with the sides of her dress, praying she didn't do anything embarrassing, like trip on the stairs leading up to the stage.

The auditorium was full, and she supposed at one point it would have scared her senseless. It was funny how things had changed, even in just the past year.

Emma and Leo both gave her a thumbs up as she passed them on her way to the stage, and she was startled to see that the blonde girl had tears in her eyes. She was proud of Rowan.

Her steps faltered, and the professor behind her nearly ran her off the path. "Sorry," she said quietly, knowing her voice was drowned out by the loud audience.

On stage, she stood with the other students receiving an award that day. She didn't recognize any of them, and simply clapped along with everyone else as they were announced.

Her award was given last, as it was the newest. She gripped the plaque tightly in her hands as she stepped up to the microphone to say her thank you speech; letting her eyes pass over the audience for the first time.

And that was when she saw him.

He was standing by the door opposite to the one she'd come in through, and he was watching her intently; his face expressionless. He was wearing nice pants and shiny black shoes, but it was the coat that stuck out to her the most. It was the maroon jacket he always wore, and she knew then that it must have really meant something to him to wear it to a suit and tie event.

And then she remembered that she was supposed to be giving a speech. She kept her eyes on him as she quickly spoke the memorized words, terrified that he would disappear if she looked away for even a second. When she was finished they congratulated her and helped her off of the stage.

She took off running down the aisle. If he was going to leave, he was going to do it on her damn terms.

He was gone by the time she managed to shove her way through the people now crowding the aisles, and she felt herself beginning to panic. He couldn't be gone again. Not after she had time to think about everything.

She almost cried when she tore out of the doors and saw him leaning against the opposite wall. He didn't move towards her; just watched her with those grey eyes. And she knew that he was giving her a choice.

She approached him slowly. "Why did you come back?"

His eyes flickered to the floor. "I promised to be here for you. Figured I might as well do one thing right." He shifted on his feet. "I talked to Ada. Told her I was done fighting. Done with her."

She wondered why he was telling her this. She didn't care about his ex wife. She didn't care about any of it.

"I just wanted you to know, because I did everything wrong. I should have let her go all the way before I started seeing you. I didn't love her; I was just still so pissed about the whole thing. But it was unfair of me to keep the truth from you. I'm sorry, Rowan."

She nodded, not trusting her voice. Not wanting to cry in front of him. He waited for her to say something, and then he looked pained, turning to walk away.

"Wait," she finally said; her voice small. It was now or never. "I love you."

It was little more than a whisper, but he heard it. She could see that he heard it by the way that his eyes widened.

She felt her courage growing. After everything the bastard had withheld from her, he was going to listen. "I love you. I wanted you to trust me. I told you things about me that I've never told anyone else. Why didn't you trust me?" she asked, her eyes accusing.

He shook his head. "Because I was stupid. I wasn't thinking of the consequences, and what I would lose."

"You didn't lose me," she said.

Hope flared in his expression, and he closed the space between them, taking her face in his hands. He gave her the chance to move away, but she held perfectly still.

"You forgive the people you love," she said quietly.

He placed a kiss on her forehead, just like he had that time in her studio. "I am so in love with you," he said lowly.

Love is built on trust and truth.