eleven

[unedited;
please vote, comment, and follow! thanks!]

I bounded down the flight from my dorm to the street where Liam's truck was waiting for me. Today's date destination had yet to be revealed to me, but at least he had decided to inform me about it beforehand rather than just show up and kidnap me out of no where. One step at a time, I guess.

Liam opens the door for me, and I slide into the passenger seat. Soon, he's seated to my left, urging his dumpy, old truck to start. Luckily, it gives in after a couple of tries, and we're on our way.

"So where are you taking me?" I ask, sensing he's in a good mood. I'm hopeful that maybe he'll tell me before too long.

He glances over at me and grins. "We're going to Starbucks and Taco Bell first because I'm famished. After that we're going on an adventure."

"An adventure?" I ask, a smile making its way to my lips.

"Yes, an adventure. They're quite a bit of fun, I promise."

He pulls into Starbucks and unbuckles his seatbelt to hop out. "Caramel latte?" he questions, a knowing gleam in his eyes.

"Of course," I reply and wait for him to make fun of me for my routine coffee choice.

"Knew it," he boasts. And there it is. For such an impulsive person, I'm starting to find Liam increasingly easy to predict. It's as if I can't help but memorize the patterns to the irregularities that he is. He's a crossword problem with no set answers, yet my analytical mind is determined to find some.

The latte he eventually hands me is something I am very grateful for in his chilly truck. My teeth have already started chattering despite the extra warmth from the mug.

"Oh," Liam says with a start as if remembering something. "I forgot to tell you that I threw a sweatshirt in the glove box that you can use if you want. My heater stopped working half the time, and I don't have the effort to get it fixed yet."

"I prefer spending my money on ice cream, not my car heater," he adds as he flashes me that grin of his.

"In the glove box?" I ask. "Really?" I unlatch the box to find a forest green sweatshirt mixed in with a couple of straws and napkins. I pull the sweatshirt out, and it's so tied in knots that it brings a deck of Uno cards with it.

I laugh. "Uno cards too? Of course you would have Uno cards."

"Hey," he lifts both his hands up in mock defense. To my relief, he returns them to the wheel before I have time to scold him about it. "I'm just trying to be a considerate gentleman here and make sure you stay entertained. I want to make sure that if I bore you to tears, I have a backup plan." His brown eyes glow as he glances at me.

"You are very boring," I admit, a smile gracing my lips.

"You wound me, Princess." He places a hand on his heart and looks at me with exaggerated pain.

I snort, and turn in my seat a little, angling myself towards him. "As if I could hurt an ego as big as yours."

He scoffs. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can hurt me, too."

We pull into the Taco Bell drive-through. "I think you messed that one up. It's supposed to be 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me'," I inform him.