twenty-four

[unedited;
please comment as you read!!]

It doesn't get easier. If anything, the hollowness in my chest and my longing to even just see Liam again increases, but I pretend that I don't notice this. I tell myself that I don't care anymore, and some days I almost convince myself of this.

But that's only on my good days. Which seem to be much less common than my bad days, unfortunately.

"Are you going to eat that?" Cole asks me.

I stare down at my plate where I'm stirring my mashed potatoes around with my fork. I had already forced down half of them, and the thought of swallowing another bite made me sick to my stomach.

I wordlessly push my plate to Cole and hunch over the table, resting my chin on my fist. With my other hand, I pull my cardigan close around my body.

Without having to look up, I know that my dad's watching me, and I feel naked under his gaze. His eyes see too much.

I busy myself by taking a drink of the water out of my glass.

"So, Kate," my dad begins in his hushed, low tones. "How is school and... everything lately for you?"

Even though he doesn't say it, I hear the true meaning of his words loud and clear.

"I'm fine," I tell him.

Dad raises one of his eyebrows slightly at my response but doesn't say anything.

Cole speaks up, his tone firm. "He didn't ask how you are. He asked how things are going. Those are two different things, believe it or not." I don't miss the implication behind his words: if I don't tell them, he will.

Even though I know Cole is ultimately just looking out for me, his attitude rubs me wrong. "No one asked for your opinion," I sourly remark with the skill of insulting possessed by the average ten year old.

My mom looks at me sharply. "Katie," she warns.

I sigh. "Sorry," I mumble without looking up at Cole.

Silence lapses over us, and because in the last month I have yet to find a good way to break the news to them, I figure now is as good as a time as any.

"Liam and I aren't together anymore," I announce lamely.

My mom reaches over and places her hand on top of mine, genuine sadness immediately filling her eyes for me. "Oh, Katie," she says.

I frown, subtly trying to pull my hand away from hers. "It's fine. I'm fine. It's not a big deal."

At least I don't want it to be a big deal.

Cole looks at me in pure disbelief, but refrains from saying anything. As much of a pain he is at times, this sudden silence by him is much appreciated by me.

My dad has nothing to say, but he's never been one to speak at times other than when it's necessary. But despite his silence, I don't miss how the wrinkles on his forehead have deepened some.

I quickly decide that I am done talking about my relationship status with my parents and change the subject. "I like your new haircut, Mom," I bring up out of nowhere. Even I recognize how abrupt my subject change is, but no one is willing to call me out on it, and we move on. My mom accepts the compliment with a soft smile and gives the short story of how she decided to cut her hair.