At Water's Edge - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

After his discussion with Vanessa, Nicki was rather vexed that she brought him there under false pretences. As Nicolette stated she had used his affections to do her bidding. Yet he knew that Nessa would never have done such a thing unless she was in absolute need of him. So he listened to her explanation, once her pleading was over he was determined to leave. That is until he saw through the window the girl walking in the moonlight. Fascinated by the sight he reluctantly agrees to think it over and give his final answer to Vanessa in the morning.

Now he is standing hidden in the shadow of the gazebo, observing her sing and dance like no one is watching. She is an intriguing creature, perhaps she would make this season worthwhile partaking in. God only knows his mother would be pleased, she has not stopped hounding him for grandchildren.

Thought he is still not sure if that scene in the library was truthful or staged just to keep him engaged, to make him stay. It may be that she wished to make herself a victim so that they would have a common bond. But she looked utterly horrified, and she stormed out with such conviction. Who knows when it comes to the emotions of women, they are fickle foes. None the less it might be worthwhile to stay just to see how it all unfolds.

"She is delightful to watch" with that though he walks forward for a closer look, and makes the error of stepping on a branch - crack.

Nicolette stops, frozen "Is someone there?"

Damning himself for making the unwitting mistake, Nicki announces himself,

"Do not let me interrupt you Priestess."

'It's him, go figure; oh I must have made a complete fool of myself.'

Without missing a beat she quips over her shoulder "Have you enjoyed the view then? I would have thought that a true gentleman would have made his presence known."

"To interrupt your prayer to the moon and deny myself the pleasure of watching you dance in such an uninhibited manner, NEVER!!" he responds with a sexy crooked grin.

"Tell me Monsieur Devereux does such brazen adulation work on your usual victims?"

"Do not flatter yourself Mademoiselle, what I was stating was mere fact, if I was attempting to seduce you I would have made my intentions quite clear."

With a coy smile upon her lips she turns toward him and retorts

"Really, thank goodness, I can truly say that I am relieved."

"You are?" He says with a confused look on his face. "Pray tell, why is that?"

"Ahh... that is for me to know and for you to find out Monsieur. A lady must have some secrets."

With a nod of his head he concedes "Please call me Nicholas, better yet Nicki. After all that has happened I do believe we should be on friendlier terms."

"Very well Nicholas, you may call me Nicolette or Nina if you prefer. Am I to assume that you have decided to stay for the season?"

"Yes I have, though I wish not to tell Vanessa just yet. Let her conscience plague her for one night." He ends with a wink.

"Now if you shall be so kind, please allow me to escort you back to the mansion. It is unseemly for a young woman to be out at this time of night, with a man devoid of a chaperone."

"How kind of you to be so concerned for my reputation." With that she places her hand upon the crook of his extended arm and they wordlessly walk back to the manor.

Just before entering the manor she sneaks a look at Nicki, his chiseled features alight by the rays of the moon.

Seeing her watch him out of the corner of his eye, he straightens and smiles ever so slightly. Stepping over the threshold she turns and looking up at him through her lashes whispers "Thank you."