At Water's Edge - Chapter 12 Part I

Hi guys, well here is a very short chapter, I am sorry it’s not longer but rI eally wanted to give you at least something as a thank you for your patience, love and encouragement.  I promise to post again soon (maybe in a week, if work slows down) as this is in no way what I wanted to give you for Ch 12, so tYES here will be a Part I and a Part II.  Please keep in mind this is completely unedited and to my sleep deprived mind looks and sounds great.  I’m sure in the morning I will regret posting this LOL.  

Kisses and sweet dreams Love always Your JoJo.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 12.

Choosing to stay away from the group that has now gathered around the Count, Steven intently observes how both Vanessa and Nicolette hang on to his every word.   Irking him more is how easy and relaxed Nicolette is around Nicholas, smiling in the carefree way she was whilst running free with the children.  An ache begins to build in his gut and with ever touch of the Counts hand, every smile she smiles just for him the dull pain grows until it finally etches his face. 

 Declyn observes his little brothers reaction to Nicki, chuckling to himself he continues their earlier conversation. 

  Snapping out of the fog which has descended upon his thoughts “Ummm…. Pardon?” Steven asks confused.

  Declyn smiles deviously “I said, you won’t truly understand little brother until he is fawning over the woman you love, till then he is just a mild annoyance, or rather an inconvenience to your prowling.”

 Pausing for a moment he continues "Unless.... there was more to that walk than what meets the eye" he raises his eyebrow in question.

  "Don't be ridiculous I was just being cordial.  I would be more than happy to be her escort if she knew no one, I could have had an excuse not to have to spend the night entertaining the marriage vultures and their irksome mothers.”

 Reluctantly drawing his gaze from Nicolette he continues “ Mother has informed me that Nicolette will be with us only for the season, which is of course perfect for perhaps a bit of fun, for both of us"  replies Steven eyebrows wiggling.  

 "That's my little brother carrying on the family tradition" he harps slapping Steven on the back.

  Nicki saunters over to the brothers "Wakefield" he nods to the Duke.

  "Devereux, I thought we wouldn’t be graced with your presence just yet."

  “I dare not leave my Nicolette on her own with all the young bucks just waiting to occupy her attentions and whisk her away from me.”

 Steven visibly flinching at the words ‘my Nicolette’ causes Nicki to smile.

 Not able to stand to be in his presence any longer Steven excuses himself and bids goodnight to all, and lastly stops before Nina.  He takes her hand cupping it between his, he bows and places a gentle kisses upon both her hands, whilst gazing at her through his dark lashes.

 “Goodnight, my dear” he raises himself to his full height his eyes never leaving hers, he reaches up and caresses the flower still vibrant in her hair.

 Surprised Nina’s breath hitches in her throat, she answers rather flustered “Goodnight your Lordship”.

 Turning his attentions back to her face he focuses on her mouth and smiles “Please call me Steven, we are friends there is no need for such formalities.”