Medal of Valor

The banquet hall was filled with local government officials and Boston's finest. Most would say that the gala was well overdue, but to the 'man of the hour' it was an annoying dog and pony show. Sergeant Detective de Wolfe had never been a fan of banquets and office parties, and she would have been a no-show that night if it wouldn't have been for Police Superintendent Manning and Captain Damian Nikas informing her that attendance wasn't optional. A rarely seen defiant side of Sergeant Detective Akia de Wolfe reared its head, so the Sergeant Detective opted for a slinky cocktail dress and high heels, makeup, and left her hair down; the complete opposite of how anyone on the force had ever seen her in all the years she had called the Boston PD home.

"As I live and breathe," Sergeant Darren Snider mused, joining Akia at the bar in the corner where she was trying to hide. His dark eyes attempted to discretely eye her body from under his bushy gray eyebrows, but the smirk twitching under his mustache made it more than obvious that he liked what he saw.

Akia gave him a look, trying to keep from gagging in repulsion, then popped a pill in her mouth and swallowed it dry.

"Damn, I didn't know you had such a hot-bod under those jeans and shirts you normally wear," he said before bringing his tenth watered down whiskey of the evening to his lips. "Have you given much thought into moving to Narcotics?" he asked. "The guys would love some eye candy in the unit."

She shook her head in resignation; Snider never gave her a second glance or so much as said her name in the past five years that she's been in C-11, and yet now he was undressing her with his eyes and fighting the urge to lean into her and ask if she wanted to go back to his place tonight.

Men were disgusting pigs, in her opinion.

"Homicide, Snider," Akia reminded him. "Narcotics doesn't do anything for me. Why don't you take it easy, sober up some," she said, taking his drink from him, "and I'll have Captain call you a cab."

He pulled his drink away from her, causing the amber colored contents to fly across the bar and all over the man standing at the other end.

"Oh shit," Snider grumbled under his breath. "Sorry, Captain," he said, breaking eye contact with the narrowed, sapphire eyes glaring at him.

Captain Damian Nikas fought to keep from growling under his breath in irritation. "As much as I hate to admit it," he sneered, "de Wolfe is correct; call it a night." He pulled a handkerchief from his inside jacket pocket and used it to wipe the whiskey from his chin and the front of his pristine black dress shirt.

Akia fought to keep from rolling her eyes. Captain Nikas' attitude and smug superiority was something she had been on the receiving end of since the moment she walked through the doors at his precinct fresh off of patrol. The Captain was short with everyone, his reputation was golden because of his no nonsense way of doing things, and in his opinion, rules and the law were not to be broken. As much as Akia hated to admit it, she admired that about him, but she'd never tell him that.