Welcome Aboard SZY!

W E L C O M E     A B O A R D     S Z Y !

Hey there everyone! This is live4books1410, and I’m going to be doing a featured article for September’s Spazzy Magazine!

As I’m sure you’ve all seen, this time around the theme is Horror and Superstitions. Superstitions are the (often crazy) things that are supposed to bring bad/good luck. For example, seeing a black cat is bad luck but seeing a white one is good luck. But did you know that this is only in the US? In UK, black cats are good and white are bad! And in Egypt, all cats are considered a good omen- they have the cat goddess, Bast, after all. This article is going to show you all more about the superstitious side of the world!

I could just list out a bunch of silly superstitions and be done with this thing…

But that’s not the plan! No, you’d all better fasten your seat belts, because I’m going to take you on a round-the-world tour to see as many wacky superstitions as we can! Of course, covering all the countries might be a bit too much… we’ll see how far we can go!

Welcome Aboard SZY Airlines!

Hello, and welcome aboard SZY Airlines. Today we will be going from *insert home place here* to various countries around the world and back again. I am live4books1410, your main air hostess and tour guide for this journey. Refreshments will be served at various random intervals.

Our first stop will be big old US and A! This country has so many superstitions that I could write down a whole page full of them! But seeing as we’re pressed for time, I’ll list out some of the wackier ones!

Dropping an umbrella on the floor of your home means that there’ll be a murder in the residence (maybe someone might trip over the umbrella you dropped- would that make you the murderer?). Speaking of murders, if you see six crows flying around, better prepare for a funeral!

If you’ve got any pet canaries, let them fly! Having birds in the house is another sign of death!

Now we’d better fly- we’ve still got a lot to see!

Next stop- Canada!

According to Canadian prairie etiquette, if a neighbor brings you a plate of food, you must return it dirty- washing it will bring bad luck (probably for you- the neighbor’s bad luck will be having to wash your dirty plate).

If you have a funeral to attend (you shouldn’t have dropped that umbrella!), then don’t wear anything new to it- especially not shoes! (If you really really REALLY need a new set of formal shoes… just wear flip-flops instead).

Now we’ll be flying over to the land of leprechauns and pots of gold- Ireland!

If you come across a whistling girl, it’s bad luck- same with crowing hens! (Girls, something to keep in mind when you see your ex crossing your path).

It is bad luck to place your new shoes on a table or chair. (Of course, that is bad luck everywhere- your mom will see to that).

Now we’re heading toward the United Kingdom. Hmm, I just noticed, so far it’s all been BAD luck, hasn’t it? Well, let’s bring out some good luck superstitions now!

On the first day of every month, it is lucky to say ‘white rabbits’ thrice. A rabbit’s foot is also considered lucky- not for the rabbit, of course.

Putting money in the pocket of new clothes brings good luck! (Although it might also bring pickpockets…).

Now, southwards to the land of Espana! (for anyone who doesn’t know, that’s Spain).