~Chapter 27~ Army Life and Royalty

Hope you enjoy this chapter! I know that this story is moving fast, but it's the way I write.

A/N: I just hope that everyone is doing good and thanks for supporting again. Remember to check out http://www.wattpad.com/user/MaddogWriter. Her story is hand in hand with mine. Anyways, onto the story!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Halt and I walked outside of the tent, the cool evening breeze chilling me to the bone. Fury and Abelard were still grazing nearby, waiting for our orders. Marithia noticed me looking at Fury and commented.

"That your horse?" I nodded, pulling my cloak tighter around me. "Well, go get her, ride her to where we are going." I obeyed, mounting Fury and walking back over to where he stood. Halt had retrieved Abelard and was waiting for me. We followed Marithia to his training grounds, where he told us to leave our horses and gear behind, only taking our weapons with us. Marithia continued to lead us to a small arena. "This is where you will be training. You girl, stand on that line and shoot the middle target. Go." I walked over to the line in the dirt, and grabbed an arrow out of my quiver. I notched it, and looked at the target again. I estimated it to be around 100 meters away, the farthest that I had ever shot. I glanced at Halt and seeing him nod, I pulled the string back. I closed my eyes and felt the feathers brush my cheek as I drew the bow to full draw. I shot the arrow like I had done hundreds of times, and opened my eyes again. The arrow had been shot in the bulls eye. I heard Marithia clapping as I went up and retrieved my arrow.

"Good job Keira," I heard Halt say. On a normal day, he would have said that I still have things to work on, but now that Marithia was here, he had to act like a supportive mentor. (Not like he isn't supportive...)

"I agree," Marithia said, his voice filled with amazement. "Your turn man." He said to Halt, grabbing my shoulder and pulling me, to the side. Halt stepped up to the line and quickly shot an arrow into the dead center of the bulls eye. "Good. You both are hired. Set up your tents over by that tree over there. Training is at seven o'clock in the morning. Do not be late." With that, Marithia walked away and left us standing in the field. I grabbed Fury's reigns and lead her towards our camp site. It was a small area, not even big enough for a tent to be pitched.

"We won't need the tents, they are just for show. I don't think it will be raining any time soon." We left the tents on the saddle and un-tacked our horses. Eating a cold meal of meat and dried rations, we decided on a plan. "Tonight, when it's midnight, all of the guard will be sleeping or sleepy. We will sneak out and go to Castle Araulan. For now, you can sleep. I'll take first watch." I nodded and rolled up in my cloak, happy to be asleep. I was awoken an hour later by Halt, and went to the selected spot. I remembered the last time that I had been on watch, so was extra careful of my surroundings.

"Lovely..." I signed, gripping my bow. Before I knew it the sun was peeking out of the darkness and rising into the sky. I went over to where Halt slept, wondering why he hadn't gotten up and prepared to leave like he had planned to. I shook him gently, waking him up right away.

"What is it?" Halt said, sleepiness filling his voice. I motioned towards the sky, and he caught on immediately. "Oh right... We will leave tomorrow. Who knows what he might be planning today." I nodded, going into my tent and re-dressing into new clothes, making sure that I tuck my oak leaf into my shirt. Grabbing my cloak and weapons, I walk outside and noticed the life stirring in the camp. "Keira," Halt said, motioning me over. I walked over to him, putting my quiver over my shoulder and my belt around me. "Marithia wants us to meet him in his tent, he said that he has a mission for us. Pack up your stuff and meet me there." He got up and lead Abelard over to the big tent by a massive maple tree. Quickly packing up my tent, I cleaned up our camp site and disguised out tracks. I lead Fury over to where Abelard was tied up, leaving her there and entering the tent. I noticed that Halt and Marithia were sitting at a table together, Marithia's back to me. Halt stood up and moved towards me.