Fire

Solitude.

Isolation.

Loneliness.

It's a strange feeling.

The week leading up to Christmas was tense. Nova and I hadn't spoken at all since our discussion over hot chocolate, not even a text message. I had spent the majority of that week cursing myself and sulking into old books, wondering why Nova was so stubborn and I was so stupid.

My dad was supposed to go visit his sister in Florida for the holidays, which always put him on edge, and he was constantly second-guessing his decision to leave me home by myself for five days. So, he did the thing any responsible (and overbearing, if not totally paranoid) father would do: he stuck me with a babysitter.

Of course, his babysitter of choice was Nova's Aunt Sandy.

"Andy! I'm so glad you'll be spending the holiday with us here!"

I stood on the Fletcher's doorstep in the early afternoon on Christmas eve, just after my dad left for the airport, and did my best to smile and act as if everything were going to be fine and dandy. Aunt Sandy ushered me in the door and showed me the guest bedroom where I'd be staying, right next door to Nova's room (which was now pumping loud, moody indie rock).

I set my bags down and Sandy offered to get Nova, to which I politely declined, saying that I'd like to get settled in first. She informed me that dinner would be her Christmas Eve specialty (a smoked ham--delicious) and that I should make myself at home. The latter part wouldn't be too difficult, seeing as I had spent countless hours in the house over the years.

In theory.

Not knowing what else to do, I grabbed the first book I could reach out of my luggage and flopped down to read, wondering how I was going to survive five whole days avoiding Nova in her own home. Let's face it: I was too much of a chicken to make up with her on my own.

After half an hour of reading Vonnegut's Catch 22, my phone began buzzing in my pocket. I pulled it out, expecting my dad to be checking in already.

[Are you mad at me?]

It was Nova.

I sighed, wishing she'd just come out of her room to come talk to me.

[Of course not. Why would I be mad?]

[You haven't talked to me in almost a week]

[I was waiting for you to start. I thought YOU were mad at ME]

Nova took a long time to respond. I heard the music turn down just a couple notches.

[Dammit, Puck. Come in here]

I stared at the message for a while, trying to decide what to do. For one, I was still just a little pissed that she had basically told me that I couldn't think for myself, which really bothered me for some reason. On the other hand, she was sort of correct in that, as much as I hated to admit it. If I were completely honest with myself, it wasn't hard to realize that I simply admired Nova and her carefree, unique way of thinking. I wanted that for myself... I wanted my own little piece of Nova.

Still, I wasn't going to make it easy for her.

[What if I don't want to?]

On the other side of the wall, the music turned off completely.

[What is your problem?]

It only took me a moment to tap out my reply. [You.]

Silence.