Chapter 14

As soon as we walked through the airport doors we were met by an entourage of pack members. To the normal human it would have looked like we were important people who just had a convoy of cars awaiting them, but it was obvious these wolves had picked up on a strange presence in their pack territory and thus came to take us to the Alpha.

"I am Daniel, the head warrior. State your names and business on our land rogue," Daniel said with a harsh tone, his eyes darting around and scrutinising each and every of our faces. I could tell some of us wanted to knock him out of the way but they kept their heads down and let Mason do the talking according to the plan.

"Take us to your Alpha," Mason said, his voice strong as he stared at Daniel, unmoved by Daniel's harshness in addressing us. Daniel looked like he was about to retort back but nodded as we were all sorted into several cars. I ended up in the car with Haley and Mason and the air was tense. We could not talk openly as we risked exposing ourselves. Daniel kept staring at me through the rear view mirror, as I would catch his eyes lingering on my face and then on Mateo who was sleeping in my hands.

I felt my apprehension rise as we reached the familiar surroundings leading to Luke's house. My hands began to shake and Haley held them and gave me a reassuring squeeze. The convoy of cars pulled up to the front of the house and I was hit with nostalgia. This was the house I had once called home, a place that I grew to scorn once the bitter taste of betrayal hit my lips.

Nothing had changed as it had only been a year, the exterior of the house still looked the same as the day I had left. My breath caught in my throat as the front door opened and then my eyes narrowed once Lauren's face appeared followed by her body. Once she stepped out we all did also, and we the Renegades stood in a group formation while Daniel walked up to her and whispered in her ear as her eyes swept over us.

"State your business!" She barked at us, wondering who was going to speak up for everybody. Mason kept calm as he stepped forward once again.

"I am Elijah Wells and these are my pack members. We were attacked by rogues and our Alpha was killed, prompting us to come and seek refuge in your pack," Mason then bowed his head respectfully as Lauren's gaze lingered on him. Her eyes squinted like she was trying to remember something, like she had seen him somewhere before. I held my breath as she looked at all of us, just as Luke stepped outside also. His scent was powerful and hit me hard as I had been away from him but it did not have the same calming effect it once had.

I wished that he was a crumbling man, that he was paying dearly for what he had done but he looked somewhat better than he had when I left. My heart constricted as Lauren territorially slipped her hand into his and kissed him on the cheek, one eye trained on the females in our group as if sending a warning. I nearly scoffed, wanting to rip the smug look off her face. I noticed that Luke remained stiff, his eyes staring at all of us and lingering on me. Under his gaze I looked elsewhere, afraid that somehow he was going to remember me.

"I've been informed that you're seeking refuge in my pack, why did you not go to packs closer to your pack? After all, that is what the alliances are for,"

"We know that the Tatum pack is the strongest in the Lycan Union. I fear that our region will soon fall to hunters, and so it is better to come to the strongest pack rather than moving to another pack in the region and coming under attack again,"

"And what gives you the impression that I shall accept anybody who comes to ask for refuge?"

"I know that shortly after becoming Alpha you raided an unruly pack, rescuing people who had been made prisoners and taking some of them into your pack," At this I stiffened, feeling Luke's gaze on me once again.