Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Black was finishing dinner with his parents when his phone lit up, Highway to Hell sounding loud and clear from its speaker. The other diners in the restaurant glared at him as he fiddled with it, trying to turn it down before answering it. His parents watched him with curiosity as he raised it to his ear.

"Black here."

"Black. This is Hunter. We met today."

Black eyed his parents and turned away so they couldn't easily hear his words. "Yes?"

"Have you heard about the hotel?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't you watch the news?"

"I'm at dinner with my family. This isn't a good time."

"Guess where I just spent the last three hours? With Los Angeles' finest. They took me into custody for questioning. I just got released."

Black stood up and walked to the lobby area, signaling to Spring and Chakra that he would be right back. "For what? The accident yesterday?"

"No, I was doing a press conference downtown, and somebody fried two paparazzi."

Black swallowed hard. "Fried?"

"Some kind of a bomb is what they're saying. Killed them both."

"And why were you being questioned? Didn't you have a roomful of people with you?"

"I'd slipped out to use the restroom when it happened. My co-star was wrapping up his one-on-one with the press."

"So you have no alibi for when the bomb went off?"

"That's basically it. But they pulled security camera footage. The bathroom was upstairs one level, and there's a cam there. It shows me going into the bathroom."

"Which is why they didn't hold you."

"Correct." Hunter hesitated. "Listen, I was thinking about what you said earlier, about not being able to do everything successfully by yourself. I'd like you to come by the house again, tonight, if possible. I think we got off on the wrong foot."

Black glanced at his watch. "I'm just wrapping up dinner. I can probably be there by ten. Does that work for you?"

"I've got some crap I'm also dealing with, so that'll be perfect. See you at ten. And Black? Thanks for giving this another shot."

"No problem. But as of ten, you're on the clock."

"Fair enough. Whatever your hourly rate is, consider it paid as of this call. You're already on the clock."

Black set the phone down, shook his head, and returned to the table where he scowled at his parents. "What a weird business this is," he said, and motioned to the server for the bill.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Spring asked, concerned.

"Oh, just one of the most powerful directors in Hollywood, calling to set up a meeting later tonight. He needs my help," Black said, keeping his voice casual.

"Wow! Congratulations. That's kind of a big deal, isn't it?" Chakra asked, pulling his battered wallet from his pants and fingering carefully through it before extracting a hundred dollar bill for the check. Black didn't try to haggle with him about it.

"All in a day's work. Although nighttime meetings are a little out of the ordinary. Sounds like the man's got an urgent situation."

"I'll say."