Chapter 13 - Chocolate Umbrella

CHAPTER 13

It was a hot and sunny day. The funeral hall was filled with flowers sent by friends and relatives, expressing their sympathies on this gloomy day of Emile and Rhonda. The fragrance of roses, carnations, lilies and many other flowers would have pleased Rhonda under normal circumstances, but not today. She was sitting with Emile on the first row of chairs, closest to the opened casket. Inside the casket laid a man's body of which it did not resembled much the great man it once was. Nonetheless, her eyes did not leave the casket, only when she was interrupted by the visitors who came forward to express their condolences. They hugged her and spoke to her in kind words, hoping to soothe her pain which was so evident in her lifeless gaze. But she could only nod and murmur a quiet "thank you". The invisible link, bonded by her endless love in Mark, was pulling her gaze and thoughts towards the casket. The time she had with him was coming to an absolute end. The casket would soon be closed and she would then only see his face in her dream.

Emile avoided looking at the body inside the casket as much as he could. That was not his father. It was just a dead body about to be buried. His father was a lively man with great humour and wisdom. He did not want to remember Mark the way he was in the casket. He kept himself busy as he played the "head of the house" role that inevitably became his. He swallowed his sorrow and received all visitors in a solemn manner, accepting their condolences with a firm hand shake. He was always within arm's reach to Rhonda. He might sometimes be a few steps away from her, his eyes were always looking out for her. When her tissue was much too soiled with tears, he would offer her another piece from the box nearby. When she sighed heavily, he would wrap his arm around her shoulder.

He also tended Candy when Alena and Julia were busy with Lily or other guests. Candy became very agitated the moment she walked into the funeral home and saw Mark's body lying in the casket. Though Alena had read with her a picture book about death and funeral for a few days now, she was still too young to handle the shock. Yes, there were many flowers in the funeral home, just like how it was like in the picture book. There were a lot of visitors who dressed in black too, just like how it was in the picture book. But the picture book did not describe how odd Mark would look lying in the big wooden box. She remembered how Alena explained that Mark would lie so still, very much liked when her favourite puppy doll was out of batteries. But he looked just very strange.

"Papa, let's go home." Candy wrapped her little arms around Emile's neck and whispered into his ear.

"Later, sweetie. Later." Emile picked her up while another visitor came forward and offered his condolences. Candy buried her face on Emile neck, hiding it from all visitors. She could not bear their sad and yet tender looks anymore. She could not tell whether they were pleased to meet her or not. The whole situation was just too confusing.

Alena purposely stayed at the far corner of the funeral home with Lily and Julia. One of the reasons was that Lily was neither properly introduced to the extended family members nor friends of Mark and Rhonda when she was born. Mark became quite ill at the time and it was improper to hold a party of celebration. Now would be inappropriate to introduce Lily to the crowd right next to Mark's casket. However, in the sea of people who dressed in black, a baby dressed in a white romper was like a twinkling star up in the dark sky. As soon as they paid their respect to Mark, most visitors came by the far corner to see the baby. Though they lowered their voice and avoided cooing with the baby, Lily's presence did some magic in lightening up the mood of everyone.

In between conversations with the guests, Alena was paying close attention to Candy and Emile. She worried about them. The way Candy clinging so tightly to Emile was not right. She looked as if she wanted to squirm inside Emile's torso. Alena could see the tension on Emile's shoulders and his clenched jaws.