Chapter 4 - Chocolate Umbrella

CHAPTER 4

December 2004

Weeks had passed and winter was fast approaching. It was now the beginning of December and flurries were slowly drifting down from the sky like tiny white feathers. Emile had been travelling quite frequently, meeting investors, customers and potential acquirers of the company across the continent. Even when he was in town, he was totally absorbed in his works. The idea of Alena going back to work was inevitably being swept under the carpet for the moment.

This evening, Emile would return from his business trip. He was in Boston for the last two days. His parents would also be joining them for dinner tonight. Though Alena knew that she would be busy all afternoon preparing the feast, she could not help but spent the morning, watching Candy through the one-way mirrored window outside her classroom. Alena could clearly see Candy busily sweeping the floor with those toddler sized sweeper and dust bin, trying hard to clean up the cracker crumbs she dropped on the floor during snack time. This was one of the beauties in this school. Parents could watch their toddlers all morning through this window, learning what the kids were actually doing in the classroom, while their kids were oblivious of their presence.

Alena smiled and marvelled how much had Candy grown from a baby, and then, someone whispered to her.

"Hi! Alena. You're early this morning. Can't get away from the window, eh? How have you been?" It was one of the parents, Nancy. She used to be very petite, but she was very pregnant now.

"Hi! Nancy. I am great. Look at you! What a pretty pregnant woman we have here. When are you due again?"

"March."

"March?" Alena was about to say that she sure looked a bit too big to due in March. But she bit her cheeks and smiled instead.

"Yeah, I know. I looked too big to due in March" Nancy said sheepishly, explaining as in reflex, "I am expecting twins!" Nancy's cheeks were blushing.

"Twins! My Gosh. Congratulations. Do you know if they are boys or girls yet?" Alena exclaimed. She was so happy for her friend.

"A boy and a girl." Nancy's smiled and yes, she was glowing.

"I am so happy for you", Alena hugged her friend tightly and all in a sudden, her emotions swept her under her feet. Her happy tears escaped her eyes. She totally shared the joy of her friend. "You are such a blessed woman. A boy and a girl?! Wow. I am so happy for you."

"Oh! Silly Alena. You are now making me cry", Nancy was also moved by Alena's reaction, "Stop it. Or when Candy sees you in a moment, you're going to frighten her."

Alena laughed a little and wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes.

----

After Alena picked up Candy from school moments later, Alena was still very excited about Nancy's news. She was busily preparing dinner in her kitchen. Though she was preparing the feast, her mind was miles away. She kept imagining what it would be like if Candy had a younger sibling, two kids loving each other. It would be a beautiful picture. She always wanted to have two kids, just liked she and her younger sister growing up together. They were very close. But since the conversation she and Emile had just a few weeks ago, she now had doubts. Could she handle two kids with her history in clinical depression? Would they be able to support a family of four with a single income? Who would take care of the kids, if she needed to roll up her sleeves again and returned to the workforce, as suggested by Emile?

She tried to push those doubts and insecurities away. The picture of having two kids was so beautiful that she kept smiling just by thinking about it. Unfortunately, Emile travelled too much lately. There wasn't any opportunity to talk about family planning anyway. Maybe she could causally bring up the topic tonight when Emile was back. Perhaps they could even start working on it too. She smiled a little as these thoughts raced in her head. She looked at the clock and it was already 2:30 in the afternoon, she'd better get on with her work.