PROLOGUE -Reed

If he had known sooner. He would've have taken a bullet straight to his heart. He would not have resisted when he wrestled with the terrorist with a knife. He would not have kneeled down and taken cover when his squad was sniped along the outskirts of Kabul. He should have allowed the IED bomb to explode in front of him when ambushed at Kunduz.

He would've killed himself in the battefield. That way, he would've received a purple heart award for his bravery and courage instead of a broken heart.

The box of bestbuy chocolates and the bouquet of white flowers fell from his hands as he watched the scene in front of him.

It had been two years since he had last seen Michelle. It had been two years since they made their promise before Reed had to emboared on a military airplane straight to Afghanistan. The promise was that if he were to survive in the battlefield, he would ask her hand in marriage.

Heck, he should have promised to die a brave warrior in the battlefield instead.

There lying in the queen size bed that he often lay as he watched Michelle work on her book was another man. Sleeping naked with only the sheets to cover his junk was his highschool buddy, Ken. Michelle's head rested on his chest as one leg entagled with Ken's. Also naked.

Ha! His bestfriend and girlfriend, no less! He should have expected it, afterall he was away for two years. But damn him, he trusted on promises more than anything. His mammita had raised him that way. But never did he imagined that it would backfire him like this.

With a loud thud, the presents fell on the marble floor.

He saw Michelle stirred awake from the sound. The sunlight shone upon her, making her tan flawless skin glow. Her brown locks were sprawled on her face. Her blue eyes looked up and saw him. Eyes became wide as his grandmother's saucers, she scrambled to cover herself. She looked innocent like a nun but only Reed had known better. Seeing Michelle waking up in the morning might have been his joy up until minutes ago, but it could never cover up the hurt he felt right now.

"Chelle, what's wrong?" Ken asked, voice still groggy from sleep. Michelle had suddenly kicked him in the face. When he saw where Michelle's gaze at, he turned his head to that direction.

"Shit! Reed!" He watched Ken as the man tried to sit up.

Balled into fists, Reed badly wanted to punch someone, anyone. He was fuming in anger. Different emotions sprang forth in his heart. Betrayal. Pain. Hurt. But he could not find the exact words to describe what he was feeling.

He trusted them with all his life! But like a fool he had given them his heart on a platter and watched them slice it to pieces. They made him look like an idiot.

"Happy 7th anniversary Michelle.' His voice laced with venom. He was shocked by how cold it sounded like from his ears but nevertheless it pointed out what he wanted.

Turning his back on them, he left

So much for welcome back surprise.

^_^