Chapter Four

Kalasag B&B, Vigan, Ilocos Sur - November 7, 20XX

She didn't remember his face, Victoria realized. Even if she was sure her dream self was looking directly at him, Victoria could never remember his face...or even his name. She stared into the dark room, at the gauzy canopy of her bed and the ceiling above it, trying to recall the look of the man in her dreams that made her heart beat fast.

At the most, she knew he had dark hair and pale skin. Then again, that was a rather popular epitome of beauty there. It made sense it would make its way into her subconscious and influence her dream man.

But what lingered with her the most when she woke up was the feeling he brought her. It was warm and safe; she felt admired and loved. When he appeared, her body grew hot, but it was a pleasant heat. It both made her heart race and put her at peace. That serenity was a welcomed feeling in the last several weeks.

Her mind must've known, as the dreams, which she recalled having a few times in her youth, became more re-occuring and vivid since her fall out with Patrick. If she were honest, Patrick couldn't compare to the man in her dreams. Then again, she chuckled to herself, when did reality ever compare to one's pleasant imagination?

Victoria stretched out her arms and yawned, rolling over on her side sliding her hand through the mosquito netting to her phone. She unplugged it and rolled on to her back, holding the screen above her.

Jackie's latest texts were apologetic. She didn't tell Patrick the exact place Victoria was, only that she went back to Vigan. Victoria did recall that Patrick didn't say Jackie gave the name of the B&B and wondered how he found Kalasag. She hoped he didn't go around asking too many people?

The last thing she needed was to have half the town talking about how her ex-boyfriend came looking for her. It may have been a romantic gesture, but there was a reason he was now her ex-boyfriend.

She closed her eyes and draped her arm over them. It was still dark out...she could afford to sleep in a bit longer. Then again, she did tell Patrick that she'd pay for his fare back. She liked to think she was good on her word and looked back at her phone, wondering if it was too early to text him.

Her eyes narrowed. Maybe she could just send him money to reimburse him.

A heavy breath escaped her and she tossed her phone to her side. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

Though her door was new and did a good job keeping most noise at bay, she could still hear the muffled sounds outside, beyond the interior hall that opened to the main room, which would act as a lobby and common space.

The construction workers must've arrived early that day, she thought as she rolled over, her back to the door.

Her eyes opened. No, that couldn't have been it. It was too early even for the workers and intuition was telling it something was wrong. Her mind began to rationalize. First, it was still dark. Second, there were no sounds similar to yesterday's construction. It was too quiet to be workers.

A knock sounded on her door and Victoria sat up.

Third, her parents wouldn't wake her up without a reason.

"Vic." It was her mother's voice. "Are you awake?"

Victoria slid her legs to the other side of the bed a she piled her sheets towards the center. She stood up, slipping through the overlapping folds of netting, before walking to the door barefooted.

"Mom?" She opened the door. The hall lights were on and she squinted at the sudden brightness. "What's going on?"

"Your Uncle Greg is here." Her mother, in her soft pink nightgown and slippers, looked solemn. Her pale, thin lips were pressed tightly together and her brows were furrowed.