CHAPTER TWO

Chapter Two

The next night, Kya was late for work. I should probably have been mad at her, but instead, worst-case scenarios ran through my mind. My dad tells me she needs the same standards as everyone else, but I worry about her.

Pop!

There was a burst from the back office as Dad cleaned guns blocked by chopped paintballs. That loud noise didn’t bother me, but when something soft brushed against my shoulder, I jumped and whirled around with a scream.

Kya stood behind me, her finger poised in the air from tapping my shoulder.

“You scared the crap out of me,” I said with my hands covering my heart.

“I see that. Need to change your pants?”

Before I could say anything, she held up her other hand. A gift bag dangled on her finger.

“For you.” She thrust it at me. “Early birthday present.”

I hesitated, then reached for it. The pink bag sprouted yellow tissue, blooming out like spring flowers. Not something I’d normally associate with Kya and kind of out of place at Splatterfest. But call me a gift slut, because it improved my mood.

“I texted you.” She perched her butt on a stool behind the counter. “You didn’t answer.”

“Dad confiscated my phone.”

“Again?” She nodded toward the bag. “Open it.”

I glanced at the computer screen but pulled the paper from the bag and peeked inside. My heart thudded.

Tickets lay on the bottom.

I held my breath. Stuck my hand inside. Pulled them out and read.

“How? How? How?” I squealed.

She grinned the smile that made boys stumble over their feet or offer pretty much whatever she asked. “You don’t want to know.”

No. For once, I didn’t. “My parents will never let us go,” I moaned, kissing the tickets.

“Don’t worry. I already cleared it with your mom,” she said. “She’s coming to Seattle with us. She’s going to come to the tradeshow, but you and I are solo for the party!”

“No way!” I squealed and hugged the tickets to my chest, then tucked them back in the bag and busted into a dance step.

“In like skin,” she said. The shine in her eyes gave away how pleased she was.

I stopped dancing midstep. “But wait. Aren’t you supposed to go camping that weekend?”

Kya lifted her hand and made a symbol. Two fingers entwined. Me and her. Best friends. Sisters before misters. Buds before studs. “I canceled. You’re more important than a boy.”

I jumped up and down again and then grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her in close for a giant hug. She allowed a longer squeeze than usual before wiggling out of my grasp.

“James will be pissed.” She flipped her long dark hair over her shoulder. “He’s on a mission to find you the best gift ever so you’ll fall madly in love with him. But I win!” She raised her hands in the air and jogged in place to break an invisible victory ribbon.

Now wasn’t the time for another lecture about being nicer to James. “James is not in love with me,” I told her.

She scowled toward the back of the warehouse where James was working.

“And birthday presents aren’t a competition,” I added gently.

“I’ll tell James to get you a gift card for clothes,” she said. “Then we can go shopping and get new outfits for the party.”