Chapter One: The Makings of How To Save A Life

Entering the worn down diner, I plumped down in my seat across from the two girls who kept me alive for most of my life. They both stared at me with small, apologetic smiles on their face, both asking how much it would cost to save a four year old from going six feet underground. I simply shrugged, mumbling out the twenty thousand that I knew wouldn't come out as a miracle.

" You need to screw your head on straight, girl." The blonde told me in a motherly tone, passing me her cup of eighty-cent coffee. Her sister silently agreed with her, her ginger curls bouncing with a nod of her head. The blond, Jasmine looked at me with a serious face, her smile turning into a smirk." I have a plan."

" What are you talking about?" I asked, questioning her sanity thoughtfully in my head.

She smiled at me again, adding all the more confusion for everyone. She nodded her head to something behind me, averting my gaze to the guy beside the cashier. A million dollar smile stood lankly on his lips, his brown eyes staring at the cashier girl in interest. He looked as if he walked fresh out of Abercrombie commercial, what with his shoveled hair and designer clothes. Definitely a rich boy with boatloads of money and girls lining up for a minute with him. Question was: What was Jasmine's point?

Jasmine cleared my thoughts as she cleared her throat after a sip of her steaming hot coffee, her smile still in tact." The point of this is, that guy over there is loaded. I mean his father basically own half as many companies as the world has and his mom is America's number one used lawyer." I raised my eyebrows at her, confused and bored at the same time. She only grinned wider, her sister telepathically thinking the same." We're putting How To Save A Life in action."

I couldn't help but stare at her wide-eyed at the words that seeped fro her mouth, covering my ears from the time the ginger twin, Leslie decided to open her eyes." If you think for one second that I'm going to steal money from some rich boy, you're wrong. I could never steal anything from a human being."

They both stared at me with pursed lips in some mental connection, rolling their grey eyes at my hesitation to understand." You're not stealing, you're borrowing." Jasmine said, making a point in her own mind that stealing twenty thousand dollars was the only humane thing to do.

Leslie nodded along to the ridiculous words her sister was saying in deep agreement." Besides, you said it yourself, he's a rich boy. He doesn't need money like you do, I'm sure he wouldn't mind twenty thousand to go missing."

I shook my head at the words, not caring if I wasn't considering them for one second." I have a four year old, who's counting on me. What will he think when I'm behind a jail cell because I wanted him to live? Huh? What am I supposed to tell him when he grows up and goes into an orphanage because of me?" I questioned them in a whisper, careful not to let anyone else hear the words coming from my mouth.

" Come one, Ellie, don't give up. This plan is fool proof because even if you do get caught, we'll happily take the blame, even if it does mean going thirteen years without nail polish or shampoo. It's worth it." Jasmine said, pressuring me into the idea.

I looked back up at the guy who was no longer deep in conversation with the cashier, but looking at me with intense eyes. He winked at me before slowly making his way to the table I shared with the two girls, who were basically swooning at the sight of him. I turned back in my seat as he slid a chair beside me, setting his expensive looking phone on the table. " Hello there, sweet cheeks." An elder waiter said coming towards the table with a coffee pot in her hands. She smiled at me before sitting a glass with a decorated white substance in-front of me," You can thank the Mr. Allen for that. He's a looker, ain't he?" She said poking the shoulder of the guy beside me.

I awkwardly looked away from the waitress, sifting uncomfortably in my seat. I flipped a small ringlet of deep red hair away from my face. A few moments of silence passed by and I could tell that I wasn't the only one in a bad situation because the rich guy shifted to face me weirdly." I have a question." He said to me blankly, a small one dimpled smile on his face.

" Ask away." I mumbled, focusing my gaze on the milksake that I hadn't had since I was a kid.I could feel the guy's eyes on me, but never looked up to meet his gaze.

I could hear Jasmine and Leslie starting up a conversation about nail polishes, but I'd been in numerous occasions where they eavesdropped on the rejection every guy recieved." I've never seen you around here before. Where are you from?" He asked me, his smile no doubt hiding behind the smirk he wore.

I nervously shuffled my fingers together, but answered anyway." Um, I'm not from around here, that's why you haven't seen me until now." I said quickly, in a rushed answer.

He nodded understandingly, shuffling his hair." Would you mind if we, like hung out sometime? I mean, I understand if you have a boyfriend or if you're married, there's probably millions of boys lining up for you." He said awkwardly scratching the back of his head with an unsure look on his expression.

If you can come up with half of the money,

the words replayed in my head multiple times. I felt Leslie swiftly kick me under the table, bringing me from my thoughts. She gave me a pointed look, whispering a yes under her breath. I looked up at the guy, connecting my green orbs with his brown eyes." I don't have a boyfriend and I'm too young to have a husband. So, sure I'd like to hang out sometime."

I heard three people sigh out of satisfaction, two of which were obviously happy that I was going with their plan: How To Save A Life.