Chapter 12

"Honestly, if you take any longer, I'll have to kill someone to get another reservation," Harry called from outside the bedroom door as he fixed his cuff links. Carissa had spent a total of two hours getting ready for their date. She forced him to take his clothes and change in the bathroom because she wanted her outfit to be a surprise. He told her that she could've worn a garbage bag over her body and it wouldn't have made a difference to him- it's not like he really cared about her clothing choice anyway.

"I'll be out in a minute!"

"You said that fifteen minutes ago, Carissa."

He groaned and made his way to the bathroom again, making sure his shirt was still nicely ironed and tucked into his pants, and his jacket still sharp. He called every high end restaurant in town the previous day (except, of course, The Ravier) in search of a reservation for two, but all the spots had been taken. He called again a couple hours later and the results were still the same. Finally, out of luck, he managed to snag a seat at The Nine, a fancy gourmet restaurant that stood in constant competition to The Ravier, after the initial guests cancelled their reservation at the last minute. Harry immediately called in sick to his night shift at work- he was afraid that if he couldn't find a restaurant, he'd have to postpone their date, and it had been delayed long enough.

The bedroom door gave a small click and he heard the handle turn. He spun around, and for the first time, Harry was left speechless; he stood corrected- he did care about her clothing choice.

Carissa emerged from the room in a magenta coloured strapless dress, the bust of it looking quite Grecian. The chiffon on the skirt was pleated delicately, fold upon fold, giving her the look of a goddess in a dress the colour of wine. She wore her dark hair in loose waves, and her eyelids were dusted with a thin layer of gold and bronze to illuminate the flecks of brown swimming in her hazel eyes. A small smile danced onto her face when she saw Harry dressed in a grey suit, complete with a matching vest, and a black bow tie- he had never looked so handsome.

"You look nice," she said shyly. He didn't pay attention to her remark; subconsciously, he twirled his finger, motioning for her to turn around in a circle. She looked a bit worried, but turned as she was instructed. His eyes took in every curve she possessed and stored it at the back of his memory. As her circle came to an end, she caught him biting his lip, a very impressed look upon his face.

"If I said you look beautiful, it'd be an understatement," he replied, not taking his eyes off of her skin- it seemed to radiate with the help of the warm pigment of her dress. She blushed and tried to hide her cheeks behind her hands, but he locked his fingers with hers and pulled her in to kiss her. After they broke apart, he remembered something.

"Oh, wait- I got something for you."

"What?"

"I got it yesterday after practice," he searched his pockets for what he was looking for, becoming a little distressed when he couldn't feel it on his body, but soon found it in his jacket, not his pants. He pulled out a small, red velvet jewellery box and handed it to her. Her eyes widened at the sight of it.

"Harry, I really can't-"

"Don't be stubborn," he said, reminding himself of how many times he'd said that to her already, "it's yours."

The look on her face was one of guilt- she wasn't expecting to receive anything from him, and she didn't think to get him something either. She braced herself and slowly opened the box. The little hinges gave a small creak before revealing to her his gift.

Sitting on the tiny foam pillows was a thin gold chain. On it was a little flower, its petals made of a gemstone with a milky white hue.

"It's a jasmine flower," he explained, gently taking the box from her hands and tipping the necklace out, "and I talked to some people at work and they said your birthday was in October, so it coincidentally worked out that the stone they used for the petals was the one for your birth month."