Chapter 13- Mannequin 3: The Reckoning

"Ash? Ashlee?! Oh Come on. Ash, damn it." I can hear Dean saying. I open my eyes with a groan and a gasp. "Hey, hey, hey, you with me? Come on. Come on. Got to get the two of you out of here. Same thing happened to Sam, he came to about 5 minutes ago. You're scaring the crap out of me." Dean whispers that last part so only I can hear. Dean helps me and Sam to the car and drives us out of town and pulls over as soon as he thinks we're far enough away. "How you feeling?"
"Like I got hit by a... planet." Sam says.
"Well, lucky for you, I'm a doctor. I got joe, grub and..." Dean holds up a container of pills.
"What are they?" I ask.
"Effective."
"I'm okay, thanks."
"Same here." Sam says.
"Suit yourself."
"So, how long we were out, again?"
"Sam, you were out for like 2 or 3 minutes but Ash... you were out for at least 8 minutes. Why, what did it feel like to you?"
"About a week, give or take."
"Felt like a month for me." I say.
"You want to talk about it?" Dean asks.
"'It'?" Sam asks.
"Yeah, whatever that was. I mean, it was like you were freakin' electrocuted.
"Look, I mean, it wasn't fun, but, I-I'm fine. We're fine." I say.
"Fine. It was hell, wasn't it? You got a big, fat faceful of hell. Ever cross your mind that you could've died?"
"Oh come on."
"I'm serious. And none of this 'it's just a flesh wound' crap, because we did it your way. We let you ho explore and every bad thing that I said would happen happened. So guess what. Past stays past. We're not kicking those walls again."
"So we're supposed to ignore it?" Sam asks.
"Yes."
"Dean... we might've done...who knows what and you want us to forget about it?"
"You shove it down and you let it come out in spurts of violence and alcoholism."
"That sounds healthy." I say sarcastically.
"Well, works for me." Sam and I share a look, we both knew this would happen eventually. "It's not a joke. Your lives are on the line here. This is not a debate. I mean, first you were soulless dickbags, and now you're not. So we good?"
"Yeah."
"Sure." Sam says.
"Good, well, let's get your minds off of it then, shall we? You uh, up for a job?" Dean asks.
"Well, what do you got?"
"Janitor murdered in a college lab last night. Doors were locked, nobody else in or out of the building."
"Great. Where to?" I ask.
"Paterson, New Jersey. Hey, maybe we'll have a Snooki sighting."
"What's a Snooki?" Sam asks.
"That is a good question."
Dean drives us to New Jersey. A shorter drive than usual but still long. I'm able to nap a bit at least. Our first stop when we get to the town is at the school and into the science lab.

"Check it out. This thing's friggin' awesome!" Dean says looking at an anatomy dummy. He takes out the plastic heart form it. "Be my valentine." He asks me.
"Dude, we're working. Put it back." Sam says.
"Have a heart."
"Dean!" I say. Now he's frustrating me.
"Buzz kills. You smell sulfur?"
"Yeah, we're in a science lab."
"Right." Dean's phone starts ringing. I watch as he looks at his phone.
"Who is it?" Sam asks. Then Dean ignores the call.
"So, Lisa?" I ask.
"Maybe you should mind your own business."
"What's wrong with talking to her Dean?" I ask. But I hate her so much.
"Thanks, Dr. Laura. That's very insightful. Look at that, our time's up."
"Hey." Sam says. His EMF meter is going off.
"Whoa. Ghosts gone wild. Something's up in here." Dean says.
"Question is, what?" I say.
"Guys, good news." Dean says then points at a security camera. "Big brother's watching." After watching the security footage which gives us nothing. I go with Dean to do research on the building while Sam does research on the janitor. Afterwards we meet up back in the impala outside the school.
"Hey, so what'd you find out from the mop jockey's girlfriend?" I ask Sam.
"Nothing. Just how great he was, went to church, donated to charity, rubber her feet during Glee."
"I just threw up in my mouth." Dean says.
"Sorry. Anyway, I checked his record, spotless. What about the science building? Anything?"
"Built in '05. Nothing weird about the land. Before this, the biggest mishap was some genius accidentally spilled sulfuric acid on his crotch." Dean says.
"They don't even dissect anything good in there. Anything bigger than Kermit, they use and iPad." I say.
"So we got nothing?" Sam asks.
"Yeah, a big steaming pile of it."

We stop at a motel for the night, and during the night there's another murder at a mannequin factory, in a few towns over. We decide to head there during the day.
"Guys?" Sam says after we've been looking around for a while already.
"Yeah?" I say.
"This thing's humming." Sam says referring to the EMF meter that's going crazy.
"Wait, that anatomy dummy you were molesting at the lab."
"Excuse me?" Dean says.
"What if that's what this is about?"
"What exactly are you accusing me of?"
"I don't mean that. I mean, there was an anatomy dummy there, and here..." I say. There's mannequins all around us.
"You're joking. You're not joking. Okay, uh, so what, we've got, we've got a bunch of killer dolls like... Chucky? I mean, come on, that's just... Friggin' creepy."
"I mean, if ghosts can possess humans and move objects, why can't they possess this?" Sam asks.
"I suppose, but riddle me this, bat boy. Ghosts aren't exactly known for hopping county lines, right?"
"True."
"This one hits up a college and a factory, what, three towns over?" Dean asks.
"Doesn't add up." I say.
"So we dig. Over there." Dean waves his hand in front of a mannequin's face. "I don't like the way Kim Cattrall's looking at me." We split up to do research and then meet back up again in the main office of the factory.
"Well, this guy's as squeaky clean as the last dead guy. I can't find a speck of dirt on him. You?" I ask.
"Nothing. Hmm." Sam is looking stuff up on a computer. "Well, here's speck. Uh, seamstress named Rose Brown went missing over a year ago. Uh, cops just gave up on her. Last seen at the factory, presumes dead. Survived by sister Isabel."
"50 bucks, vengeful spirit." Dean says.
"Pay sis a visit? Alright." Sam says. And Dean's cell is ringing again.
"Answer it." I say.
"Lisa? ... Ben? What are you- ...What are you talking about? ... Define 'bad'...Alright, put her on the phone... Ben, get your mom and put her on the phone... Alright, let me call you back... five minutes." Dean hangs up the phone.
"So?"
"Apparently, according to Ben, Lisa has been locked in her room."
"So go." I say, me and Sam start walking him out to his car.
"Come on, guys. I can't just leave."
"Dude, you gotta leave." Sam says.
"Yeah, buy we're talking life or death here."
"Right. We can handle it for 24 hours, Dean. I get you want to bury it, but we had to deal with our past year, you got to deal with yours." I say.
"Oh yeah, and that worked so great for you." Dean says then gets in his car and drives away. The factory is close enough to the town that we can just walk to the sister's house. She welcomes us in right away as soon as we show her our badges.

"So you and Rose were close, huh?" Sam asks.
"Very. Our parents died when we were little, so we had each other."
"What was she like?" I ask.
"Um, kind... giving. She had the biggest heart. But people gave her a hard time."
"How come?"
"She was shy, a little awkward. I guess that made her an easy target. I feel like I've been defending her my whole life."
"I'm sure she appreciated it." Sam says.
"Well, it went both ways. She did more for than anybody else ever could. I just miss her."
"Um, may I?" I ask, there's a photo album on the coffee table.
"Sure. Please. Oh, it's a company Christmas party a couple years back."
"Wait, you work at Salzman & Sons too?" Sam asks.
"Well, everybody works at the factory. That's rose." She points to a lady in the picture. The janitor from the college is in the picture too. I put the photo album back on the table and me and Sam leave after thanking her. Sam gives Dean a call to update him on the situation.
"Dean, hey, get this. That college janitor? He worked at the factory too, until last year. Apparently, he quit right after Rose's disappearance... Right, but still doesn't explain how a ghost ended up at a college in another zip code.....We're headed back to the factory now. We'll call you when we get the whole scoop on Rose." Sam hangs up and we head back to the factory. All the employees are working today. Lucky us. We start questioning the employees. The first 8 are not helpful, and then we get to Johnny...
"So, how long have you been with the company?" I ask him.
"I've been here about 3 years now. I'm sorry, what's this got to do with me?"
"Relax. Just a routine questioning." Sam says.
"Oh. Okay."
"Uh, did you know Rose Brown?" I ask.
"Uh... Maybe. Uh, the name sounds familiar."
"She was a seamstress here. She went missing about a year ago. Here. You mind taking a look?" Sam asks as he takes out a picture of Rose and shows Johnny.
"Uh, yeah, I saw- I saw her around."
"Anything you can tell us about her that might help?"
"Uh, look, I'd love to help, but I don't know anything. And, uh, I'm about to be late back from break, so-"
"You seem nervous Johnny." I say.
"Well...those  guys that died were my friends. O-of course I'm gonna be upset."
"She didn't say upset. She said nervous. Here." Sam says as he slides him a business card. "In case you remember anything. Johnny gets up and walks away. "I think we need to keep an eye on him."
"I agree."
He's the last one in the building. We watch him. There's a gash on his head that appears, much like the first two deaths. He breathes out and we can see his breath. Sam and I make our move to get him out of here.
"Come on." Sam says.
"What's going on?" Johnny asks.
"That was a ghost trying to kill you for being a dick." I say.
"What?"
"You know what? You're lucky you are the most suspicious interview of all time. I figured something like this would happen." Sam says.
"Figure something like what would happen?" We drag him into the staff room and get him a gauze to hold on his head.
"Buddy, like. We don't have time for the big speech, alright? So, brass tacks. Rose is back." I say.
"That's crazy!"
"Look, you're gonna end up like your friends unless you tell us what you did to Rose. Do you want us to help you or not?"
"It was a stupid joke. You know, I mean, you...you play jokes. We didn't think it was that big of a deal."
"What did you do?" Sam asks.
"We made Rose think she had a secret admirer. I don't think the girl had ever been asked out in her life. Honestly, we just thought she was kind of pathetic...So we knew she'd take the bait. She was so excited. The poor girl never saw it coming. It was mean. But you know how it is when a group of guys get together. They act like jackasses. It happened so fast. Steve grabbed her wrist when she was trying to leave. We didn't mean for it to happen. When she tried to get away from him she fell and bashed her head on the table. And then it was too late. It was an accident. Steve said there was only one option. I wish I could take it all back."
"I'm sure you do." I say.
"I didn't kill her."
"Okay, look me in the eyes and tell me none of its on you. Look, I'm not saying you deserve to die. We can help you."
"How?"
"You have to tell us where she's buried."
"In the woods, a clearing off Canyon Run Road." Johhny said as he starts getting up.
"No, no, no. You're not going anywhere." Sam says. I grab a bottle of salt and draw a circle around him
"But I-"
"You need to stay inside this salt line until I tell we tell you you're safe."
"You just want me to stand here all night?!"
"Consider it getting off easy." Sam says. We find the bones. Salt and burn them. The next day we get word the Johnny still died.

We go to Johnny's apartment to check out the damage. He had a sex doll...
I call Dean's cell but get the voicemail.
"Hey, it's not over. Burning the remains didn't stop her. She's got to be hooked to something else. We're gonna head to the sister's now. Call me." We go back to Isabel's apartment and start going through Rose's things with Isabel's permission.
"So, um, this is it?" Sam asks. It's just one little box.
"I gave most of her clothes to the Goodwill. She didn't have much."
"Are you in school?" I ask.
"Mhmm, yeah."
"Where?"
"Uh, Great Falls."
"So let me guess... Um, you were at the chem lab and the factory this week." Sam says.
"Well, yeah."
"Did you happen to stop by a bar called McOwen's last night?"
"Everybody from the factory goes there. I stop in maybe three times a week. Why?"
"That's it. So this is all about you." I say.
"What? What is?"
"The murders. Your coworkers, your college janitor."
"What, you... You think I could do something like that?!"
"No, no, no, no, no. But, I think you're at the centre."
"Me? How?" Isabel asks.
"What are you wearing of Rose's? A ring? A bracelet? Her baby teeth in a locket? What?" Sam asks.
"You're scaring me."
"Just think, please. What do you have a Rose that you carry with you?"
"I-I'm..."
"What?" I ask.
"Well, the only thing I have of hers is part of me. When I was 16, she gave me one of her kidneys."
"Her kidney?" Sam asks.
"Yeah."
"You're kidding." I say.
"Will you please tell me what this is about?"
"Yeah. Um... But I'm gonna need you to come with us."

The three of us go meet up with Dean to figure out what to do.
"So, that the girl with the haunted kidney?" Dean asks as he nods his head towards Isabel who's standing a little ways away.
"Yeah." Sam says.
"Well, just when you think you seen it all."
"Right." I say.
"What do you want to do? Can't exactly burn the thing. I mean, she kind of needs it."
"Well, she can't walk around with it, Dean. The spirit's attached. It's gonna use her to get close to anyone it wants revenge on. It's not gonna stop killing."
"Okay, so what are you suggesting, that we cut it out of her?"
"And then what? Leave her in a tub of ice with a phone taped to her hand?" Sam says.
"Maybe we should call Dr. Robert. Might have some leads on some non-haunted, black market replacement kidneys."
"He works out of a butcher shop."
"It's pretty clean. You'd be surprised."
"No. I think we have to go hoodoo." I say.
"Hoodoo?" Dean asks.
"Yeah, hoodoo."
"That's more of a band-aid, not really a cure."
"It buys us a minute." Sam says.
"Alright. Louisiana it is."
"Voodoo?! What the hell are you talking about?" Isabel walks up to us.
"Actually, it's hoodoo. It's a little different." Dean says.
"Hold on, Isabel." I say.
"You're not feds."
"Just let us explain." Sam says.  And suddenly the Impala starts revving. What the actual fu... no one is in that car.
"No. No way." Dean says.
"That's impossible." Isabel says.
"No, no, no, no, no, no. She possesses sex dolls! This is not a sex doll!" Dean yells. The impala's headlights turn on.  "Hey, you leave my baby alone! She's got nothing to do with this!" The car starts driving towards us.
"Go, go, go, go!" I yell.
"Okay, here, here, here. Get in." Sam ushers Isabel into another car. I stand aside, it looks like it's after Dean right now."
"Son of a bitch!" Dean is standing in front of the store window and waits for the car to charge him and the jumps out of the way so the car crashes into the store.
"Okay. You alright?" I ask.
"Yeah. Yeah. I'm good. You guys?" Dean and I start walking over to Sam and Isabel as they get out of the car.
"Yeah, I'm..." Blood starts coming out of her mouth.
"Isabel? Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey." There's a shard of glass sticking out of Isabel's stomach. Rose's spirit appears in front of her.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this." Rose says then goes up in flames. We call 911 to get the cop's over here while we ditch and head back to Bobby's as quick as we can so Dean can fix up his car.

"How's it look?" I ask Dean as Sam and I join him outside.
"Well, considering she got carjacked by poltergeist, could be worse. I mean, what exactly did we do back there?"
"Yeah, we're not putting it in the win column, either." Sam says.
"We saved a few dicks and we killed an innocent girl. I got a heartbroken kid and a woman who's so pissed at me... I see what you mean about facing your past. It's uh... it's awesome. Thanks."
"Dean." I say.
"I mean, all we do is make a mess."
"That's not true. We do save live, now and again." Sam says.
"Yeah, I guess. I'm just... I'm just tired of all the bad luck, you know?" I look at Sam and give him a look to leave so me and Dean can actually have a talk.
"Well, you know, number one, bad luck is kind of in the job description. And two, it's not all bad. Really. Look at me. I mean, at least Satan's left the building."
"Yeah, it's the little things." I walk closer to him so that we're pretty much chest to chest.
"And Sam and I have souls because of you. I never thanked you for that, did I?"
"That's all good."
"Well, thanks."
"You'd have done the same for me."
"I mean it. Look, we keep our heads down, keep swinging. We'll lose some. Hopefully, we'll win more. And... I don't know. Anyways, for what it's worth, we've got your back."
"Yeah, I know."
"Great, so let me make it up to you." I say as I lean up to kiss him. It doesn't take long for him to kiss back and the next thing I know we're laying in the back seat of the impala......