Fifteen

After lunch, Alice was escorted back to the interview room and continued to tell the two agents tales about her life at Wonderland. How life after she'd been 'matched' didn't really change. She just continued to go about her day to day duties with Marnie and Becca and the other residents.

Ally revelled in the importance that being matched to Lewis gave her, the other residents always smiling at her, looking up to her. Lewis had told her that they all knew that she was the one who was going to lead their children through the fall of the world. Alice still didn't get to go to the meetings that the other elders had though. She wouldn't be allowed into them until she was nineteen. She didn't know how Lewis and Marnie came to decide that someone could be matched at sixteen but not involved in important camp decisions until nineteen, but she accepted it as Gospel. Like she accepted everything else she was told.

The only difference between life before being matched and life after was that Lewis would come to her on certain nights, Marnie helping her strip her bedsheets and wash out the blood after the first time. "You're a woman now" she'd told her, stroking a lock of Alice's hair back.

Lewis would come to her every full moon without fail and during these times, he wouldn't use any protection. Any other time during the month he would, but not when it was a full moon.

"Our children, the leaders of the future world, were all conceived under full moons. Just like you were."

He'd shown Alice a lunar chart, dating back years. If she calculated when her parents had probably conceived her, it had in fact pointed to a full moon, so she happily believed him and allowed him to have his way, even enjoying it. Her children, they were going to be important, they were going to be saviours.

"And you never once fell pregnant?" Agent Rossi raised his eyes to Alice in question.

"Is my sister still out there watching this?" she asked, glancing to the mirror.

"No. Agent Hotchner has had them escorted home. Your sister.... She got upset during lunch, and we thought it best she return home." Spencer told her.

Alice nodded. "Yes I fell pregnant. I fell pregnant three times and miscarried each time, a few months in." Her eyes flickered between the two Agents and then back to the mirror on the wall, staring at her own reflection for a moment.

"I'm sorry to hear that Alice, that must have been very hard for you." Rossi's gentle tones filled the room.

"I'm not sorry. So please don't be sorry on my behalf."

Dave glanced at Spencer, a message passing between the two.

"Ally, we need to ask about the bodies. Why did these people end up dead and why were their bodies dumped."

"Because we killed them."

Alice's statement hung in the air.

We.

Not they. We.

"Ally. Can you explain?"

..

Ally had turned nineteen a month ago, and was finally getting to sit in on her first meeting. She sat nervously next between Rebecca and Marnie, watching Lewis address the room of adults. Not all of the camp were there. They didn't all need to be there, Lewis had told her when he'd explained years ago how things went.

There was a group of fifteen to twenty people who made all of the decisions in camp, Lewis having the ultimate power to overrule which he said would eventually fall to her when the time was right.