Chapter Five

The next week went by agonizingly slowly. Chace was busy with work and college, so I was left to my own devices. On Tuesday, I’d gone to the movies with Kate and had endured endless interrogation about the mysterious college boy. Somehow she’d tricked me into inviting herself and Paul into going on a double date with us. Honestly, I thought it was going to be awkward. Both her and Paul are nice people, and so is Chace, but I couldn’t help feeling a little wary.

            Currently, it was Friday, the day of the double date. I was pacing in my living room, my dark blue, flower-print Hollister skirt flying out behind me as I strode back and forth. My phone was in my hands, my contact list open and on Noah’s name. It’d been a week, and I still hadn’t mentioned him to Chace. As much as I wanted to text him the number, I was too curious to know what his reaction would be like when I told him. Would he be upset? Angry? Happy? After speaking with Noah, I was dying to know what happened between them.

            My doorbell went off and I jumped, my heart beat quickening. Hurrying over to the door, I opened it to reveal Chace standing there, his familiar, handsome smile on his face. Once again, his looks amazed me. He was wearing a dark green plaid shirt, dark washed jeans, and a pair of black converse. The hair on his head was damp, revealing that he’d showered just before coming here. “Hey, Rosie,” he greeted me happily.

            “Hi,” I responded, suddenly feeling shy. “Come on in.”

            Nodding, he followed me into my warm house, closing the door behind him. “You look cute today. Something special happening? Maybe going on a date?”

            I did a little curtsy. “Thank you. And, actually, yeah. I met this great guy yesterday.”

            “Oh yeah?”

            “Yeah. His name is Cole. Real heartthrob.”

            Chace grinned. “I guess you like guys who have names starting with C.”

            I shrugged nonchalantly. “Maybe. Do you want something to drink?”

            “We’re not leaving right away?”

            “No, Paul has practice until five,” I told him, glancing at my phone. It was only four. “Then Paul has to shower and then they’ll be here.”

            Chace checked his own phone. “Oh, wow. We have plenty of time. What do you have to drink?”

            I gestured for him to follow me into my kitchen. The day before I’d slaved around my house, cleaning up and making everything spic-and-span to impress him. It hadn’t been that untidy in the first place, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to vacuum the floors, or put away dishes, or wash tables. Needless to say, my white kitchen was spotless. After waiting a few moments for Chace to comment on it and not receiving a response, I sighed lightly. “What are you in the mood for?”

            “I don’t know,” he responded vaguely, perching himself on my clean counter.

            Grimacing, I opened my fridge. “Uh, we have soda…”

            “Nah.”

            “Water?”

            “No.”

            “Seltzer?”

            “I’ll pass.”

            “Orange juice?”