Chapter Seven

I flipped through the Weiss magazine on my lap, taking in all the elaborate designs models were showing off in the numerous photos. A twinge of superiority ran through me as I realized while my dress was designed specifically for me, the dresses they were where weren’t. My dress was special. But it had taken a heavy beating after my fall… I grimaced at the memory, my left hand moving subconsciously to my head where a bandage was wrapped tightly around it.

            The door suddenly burst open and I nearly had a heart attack. In came Chace, his eyes filled with concern. “Rosie! Are you okay?”

            “Hello to you too,” I responded, smiling at the brunet.

            “Are you okay?” he reiterated, dropping into the seat near my hospital bed. His face was pale.

            My smile faltered at his worry. “Chace, I’m fine.”

            “I’m so sorry,” he apologized quickly, ducking his head. “I should’ve helped you. Or gone first. I didn’t realize how difficult climbing down a ladder could be. I couldn’t even stop your fall…”

            “It wasn’t you fault,” I told him, reaching out my hand and placing it on his knee. “It was mine.” Actually, it was my vision’s fault, but I wasn’t going to let him know that.

            His gaze met mine again, but his eyes were still filled with disquiet. “I almost had a heart attack… I thought maybe you’d…”

            “Broken my neck?” I finished for him with a laugh. “No way! I’m built tougher than that. I only have a minor concussion and a sprained wrist. And some bruises on my ribs. I got really lucky.”

            “I’ll say,” he breathed, slumping back into his chair. “You did save me though. Because I had to call an ambulance, all the questions everyone wanted to ask me were related to you. They thought I had enough stress with you falling down and all. Didn’t want to ask me anything too thought provoking.”

            “They?” I echoed.

            Chace shrugged. “You know, the people from my father’s company. They think it’s so wonderful how close he and I are despite are rare chances to see each other. They’re a bunch of idiots.”

            I grinned. “Then I’m glad to be of help.”

            “But you’re really okay?”

            “Perfectly okay.”

            Finally, his handsome smile eased onto his face. “Good. Sorry I didn’t get to come see you sooner. My dad made me stay for the rest party and by the time it ended I was beat. And your dad told me you were fine, so I just slept. Then on Saturday I was forced to New York for an interview. And now I’m here.”

            “I can leave today,” I informed him happily. “I could’ve left yesterday, but since my dad has absolutely no idea how to take care of an injured person, they decided to keep me here. You know, to make sure I didn’t have brain damage or whatever.”

            His eyes lit up. “Does that mean I get to take you home?”

            I nodded. “If you want to.”

            “I do. We can stop by Florence Pizza and eat lunch too. I bet you’re tired of hospital food.”

            “I am. Real food sounds so good,” I sighed dreamily. “I’ll just get dressed and then notify the doctor’s and we can leave.”