Alone on Cloud 9 (20)

Well here it is, the last chapter, sorry if these last few have seemed a little rushed, I was suddenly determined to finish this for the watty awards, which was maybe the push I needed to actually write the end. Hope the journey's been worth it. 

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

Chapter 20                  Grade 12

May

You want to know what makes me love you more than I loved him? It’s because when he got me, I was perfectly unused. I was fearless, and a hopeless romantic. When you got me I was bruised and battered. I was afraid of the world and cynical about love. And yet, you didn't leave”

-Anonymous

“We need to talk.”

I looked up from the glass I was cleaning into Michael Conner’s liquid silver eyes. To think I used to want him so bad.

He cleared his throat and I realized I hadn’t answered yet.

“I’m busy.” I muttered distractedly.

Wes was here again. He and Evan occupied a table at the far end of the room, and I was dying to go over there, to somehow explain last night. In my mind I was begging him to look up, glance over, anything to indicate he didn’t think I was a completely lost cause. Not that I didn’t deserve it.

After everyone had left I threw out all my Michael Conner memories without the slightest hint of regret. Unfortunately the boy in front of me was not so easily disposed of. He moved into my line of sight, cutting off my view of the café until I was forced to look at him.

I knew he would leave without getting his way, and this time there was no one here to deter him from pestering me until it happened. He raised an eyebrow, almost in challenge, and while I was so over playing his games I threw down my rag with a reluctant sigh.

“Fine, lets get this over with.”

With a gloating smirk he led the way outside, opening the door so I could walk out in front of him. Before leaving I spared one more glance at Wes, but I wish I hadn’t, because right at that second he finally decided to look up, to see me walking out the door with Michael. Bloody perfect.

All of a sudden I was completely annoyed. Intentional or not, Michael always seemed to be screwing things up for me, I’d already lost so much because of him, and honestly he didn’t deserve another second of my time.

But if this is what it took to finally get rid of him, than I’d just get it over with.

“Well?”

“Well, here we are.” He said with a slow smile, completely at ease and ignoring my obvious impatience.

“Yes, and why are we here?”

His smile grew, like every word from his mouth was supposed to be some kind of gift to me. “I told you babe, I always get my way.”

“Fascinating, thanks for sharing, but if that’s all you have to say then I’ll be getting back to work.”

Truthfully, I just didn’t want to spend any more time out here than I had to. I needed to get back in there fast, before Wes or Evan, or anyone for that matter, could make any assumptions as to why I’d just left the building with Michael Conner.