4: To be Completely Ignored

Dedicated to coupduhfoudre. One, your username. Two, you re-read the last chapter and, three, I miss the blonde kids you mentioned too. 

Pictures of Amy and Grant along with This Means War by Marianas Trench in the Media Section. 

4: To be Completely Ignored

I slammed my laptop closed.

"It's not what it sounded like, Dad," I laughed nervously. "Kevin and I ... we were just talking about a movie we watched – or, you know, that I watched last night that he watched just a couple of hours ago." I cleared my throat. "You know, the usual."

"Huh. Sounds interesting." Dad played with his beard and looked at me, completely unimpressed. "Your mom wanted to watch something on Netflix tonight." He paused and gave me a cheeky smile. "What's was the title of the movie?"

Damn it.

I pretended like I was actually trying to remember then I sighed dramatically. "I actually forgot what it was called, Dad."

"Hmm." Dad pursed his lips. "You can't remember? You realize I know you can remember what you had for lunch six weeks ago – or even six years ago?"

An eidetic memory came with being an Angel of Death and it was, usually, a good thing. But not right now. "It was just one of those random link thingy recommendations I clicked on."

You're at the end of your fibbing rope when you pull out words like thingy.

"If you say so." Dad finally backed off but not without giving me a satisfied smirk. "Mom's out getting dinner. Anything you want?"

I shook my head and Dad left my room leaving my door wide open.

I sighed.

Not closing doors was one of Dad's many quirks. I listened to make sure he'd shut the front door on his way back down the travel agency then waved my hand at my own bedroom door. Obediently, it swung closed.

Telekinesis – probably the only real perk in my life as a future Angel of Death.

I dreaded going to school the next day. I dreaded having to go to my locker. I dreaded lunch.

What I dreaded, basically, was seeing Ben.

Ben was cute – more than cute, let's be honest – but as I'd explained to Kevin yesterday and to Marie again this morning, he was being a tad too persistent. I waited for him to send me a friend request – he didn't disappoint. Marie, in much kinder words, had given me the same advice as Kevin.

I don't know why I expected any different. Those two were meant to be together – seriously, I was just waiting for the wedding announcement – so of course they'd agree on something so trivial as my possible stalker problems.

Could it really be just as simple as asking Ben to lay off a bit?

My relief at not seeing Ben by our lockers was short lived when I spotted him standing by the door to my Homeroom class. He saw me before I could hide behind a group of noisy juniors. His smile was wide and warm. "Anna," he called out.

Was this when he whipped out the handcuffs and declared he wouldn't leave my side for the rest of the day?

I might be a bit too too paranoid for my own good.

"Ben." My own response didn't come with half of his enthusiasm. "Your class is on the other side of the building," I reminded him.

Ben flinched. "I just wanted to apologize and I didn't think it could wait 'til lunch."